what to grow tomatoes in

• 20 Replies

helluvatractor

what to grow tomatoes in
« on: April 08, 2007, 20:36 »
hi all, i'm quite new to this gardening lark and i've recently aquired a nice large (15' x 9') greenhouse. Unfortunately i had to site it on about half a foot of soil, below which was are old slabs and a patio.
i've made a timber frame, (no bottom)about 12 foot long, 2 foot wide and about a foot high, which i intend to sit along one side of the greenhouse onto the existing soil.

I'd like to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc within it, i'd just like to know what would be the best growing medium to add. eg. potting compost?, topsoil? (the farm where i work had very sandy, quite alkali soil, which i could take some of), farmyard manure? or a mixture of all, also any nutrients eg. blood , fish and bone.

any help greatly appreciated, as i'd like to prepare a top-notch medium for them to grow in, cheers!
 :D  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 21:08 »
If it was me think I would go for the a mix of the three, topsoil, farmyard manure ( well rotted ), potting compost.
Would only plant tom's into it when the first trusses have formed. else they will just go nuts and produce loads of leaf with all those goodies in it.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 22:50 »
I'm with the mixture idea but rather than fish, blood & bone I'd use a tomato feed. if you have some wood ashes, mix those in as they'll help your tomatoes along.
Don't use woodashes from burning melamine or stuff that was painted / cresoted though as you could be poluting the soil.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 22:54 »
Quote from: "john"
I'm with the mixture idea but rather than fish, blood & bone I'd use a tomato feed. if you have some wood ashes, mix those in as they'll help your tomatoes along.
Don't use woodashes from burning melamine or stuff that was painted / cresoted though as you could be poluting the soil.

I'd love to use the ash from our woodburner, but all the wood we burn is what we get from the window place, so is either painted or varnished!!!!  darn!!!!

helluvatractor

what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:41 »
cheers guys, i'll opt for the main three - manure, topsoil and GP compost and throw in some wood ash for good measure.  Rich, sorry for sounding a bit dumb, but do you mean i should transplant them into bigger pots until the first lots of flowers form and then put them into my trough?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:52 »
No such thing as a dumb question matey, I leave mine in 3" pots until the first truss forms, then transplant into their final positions, I'm sure other people do it different tho'  :lol:

helluvatractor

what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 21:44 »
cheers! also, when should i start pinching out the side shoots? its just that i'm worried tht some of the sideshoots on my plants, if left, look like they would produce flowers??

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 21:48 »
Quote from: "helluvatractor"
cheers! also, when should i start pinching out the side shoots? its just that i'm worried tht some of the sideshoots on my plants, if left, look like they would produce flowers??

If you dont pinch out, they get quite leggy, and woul end up losing fruit on the main trusses.  If in doubt pinch out, unless a bush variety
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 21:48 »
Depends on the variety you are growing some you pinch side shoots out as they should be grown as a vine, others you don't as they are bush type.
If you ain't sure post on here and we'll all have a look and give you 40 different answers :wink:

helluvatractor

what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 22:17 »
ah right.  I'm pretty sure the ones i've got, or am planning to grow on are the vine type, eg alicante, gardeners delight, cerise.  cerise and Gardeners d are in their box, about 20" or so high now.  i've gone around a couple and pinched the side shoots out, have i done right thing? :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 22:30 »
Yep all those you are growing are "indeterminate" which is vine type. So yes I think you are doing the right thing, I take mine out as soon as they show just by rubbing them off.

steampig

what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 08:24 »
Quote from: "helluvatractor"

Sideshoots can be left until about 2-3 inches long, pinched out and planted alongside existing plants where they will take root, free tomatoes,  happy days.
Eat all, drink all, pay nowt.
Hear all, see all, say nowt.
And if ever tha' does owt f' nowt
Make sure tha' does it f' thi 'sen

corndolly

• Experienced Member
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 09:35 »
I thought Gardeners Delight is a bush type ?
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 11:59 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
I thought Gardeners Delight is a bush type ?

No - you grow it up a cane and pinch out the sideshoots. Left alone it will turn into a bush but we want tomatoes not foliage :)

helluvatractor

what to grow tomatoes in
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 19:40 »
cheers guys and thanks for that tip steampig ! anything free is good in my book.

xx
What do you grow your Tomatoes in?

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 02:28
by cadalot
xx
How do you grow tomatoes!?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2014, 17:59
by maddave
xx
What are the best Tomatoes to grow?

Started by SWhite6124 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 10:45
by Spana
xx
Does anyone grow their tomatoes this way.....?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 21:52
by Trillium

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.