Storing potatoes

• 7 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
Storing potatoes
« on: November 01, 2015, 12:33 »
Ive grown my maincrop in large buckets and im wondering if i could leave them in the soil in the buckets for use when needed? I was going to out them in the shed so atleast dry and away from frosts . Not sure if itll work as have no more space at home currently

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Storing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 14:17 »
They should be ok as long as you don't have 'lodgers' in the shed to eat them.

Throw an extra layer over (fleece old blanket etc) if it starts to get really cold.

crh75

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 15:47 »
Our allotment association has a winter lecture each year and a few years back the lecturer (I forget his name) grew and stored his potatoes similar to this.

In fact what grew them in those black plastic bag type pots if you know what I mean.  He lined them up in a trench with the potato near the bottom such that the roots grow out of the pot and the potatoes stay inside.  Then he just lifted the bags and stacked them in the garage until needed.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 17:30 »
as long as there out of frost and heat i can't see a problem. what growing medium did you grow them in?

the only thing to consider would be if there's anything in the soil. i've always had problems with wire worms, for this reason i have no choice but to store mine out of the soil.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 14:28 »
i find the paper potato sacks the best. keep them in the shed (dont wash the spuds). i had maincrop stored until the following march.

Anton

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 19:20 »
How do other people store their potatoes if they don't have a lot of storage space
My wife puts them in trays and keeps them behind a curtain in a little alcove leading to the cellar (which is damp and I imagine would be affected by frost in the winter as we have just fine mesh grids on the tiny windows to keep the place ventilated). They have kept quite well for the last few years but they do tend to sprout a bit after a while.

Anton

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 19:40 »
I have no storage space in my small flat, but I have a small garage and I keep them there. They were in hessian sacks, but a mouse found them. Now they are in a smart 40L bin from the blue and yellow Swedish place, with lots of newspaper lining it to absorb any damp. They are sprouting a bit too, but that doesn't bother me as long as they stay firm.

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:24 »
Mine are in paper sacks in the shed and they too are starting to sprout but remain firm. One chap on our allotment keep his in an old wheelie bin which over winter goes into his shed

xx
Storing potatoes.

Started by swaine on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 20:02
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Storing Potatoes

Started by Chicken Pete on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 17:29
by mumofstig
xx
Storing potatoes

Started by johnwilliam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 23:11
by gavinjconway
xx
storing potatoes

Started by Flump on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 17:52
by Trillium

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 39 queries.