poorly leg

• 8 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
poorly leg
« on: January 26, 2014, 15:25 »
1 of my ladys has had a limp for a couple of weeks now I really have no clue how to help her or what is causing it can any1 help me also most of my ladys have had scaly leg mite and I've been treating it with a spray but a lot of the scales are still raised any ideas please

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: poorly leg
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 16:41 »
Chickens are quite good at hurting themselves just jumping up and down off things, so it could be just a sprain.  Does the leg appear swollen anywhere or feel hot to the touch?  That could mean an infection and you'll need to get her to a vet for antibiotics.   You also need to check underneath her foot for lumps that could be bumblefoot, which will also need attention from the vet.   

If the leg and foot seem fine and the hen is eating, drinking and still has good body condition, I would be tempted to leave her a week or so longer and see if it sorts itself out before stressing her with a vet trip.

Scaly leg scales stay raised and ugly looking until the next time the bird moults them off.  As long as the mites are dead, the hens will be comfortable and the raised scales won't bother them  :)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 22:45 »
depends on the breed depends if they moult much and hence change the scales, as bantams don't tend to. Very difficult to see if the mites have gone. Have you used louse powder on the birds and checked the coop for red mite, use a white piece of paper wiped in cracks, red smear says you have mite. I use Hillfooter's mix (on this site), earth can be used on birds.
As New Shoot says check the legs, make sure bars are not too high.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50 »
Sad news this morning I let my ladies out and the lady in question had passed away during the night.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21 »
sorry to hear that. check for lice/mites, dust the birds anyway as lice are difficult to spot.
how old and what type was she?

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:40 »
I powder the birds and the coop weekly. She was no more than 2 years old and she was just a run of the mill brown hybrid if that helps.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 20:08 »
Sorry to hear about your chook. Sometimes 2years is all that a hybrid manages. You must remember that you gave her a good life - she could have been a caged bird! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barley

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 22:11 »
 :(

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 13:53 »
Try Johnsons Scaley Cream for their legs? I have tried a few different things to get rid of the scaley leg and have resorted to putting this on every other day at the moment as one of my hens has a bad build up of scales (although I think the mites have gone/died as a result of my other treatments).  It is quite gloopy so you can massage it in under the scales and all round the foot/leg - it seems to be softening the scales so they are starting to drop off.  It is quite messy and is a bit of a chore as I have been doing this for over a month but seems to be worth the effort as lovely new skin is starting to show (I'm not a Johnsons rep honest! it's the only stuff that seems to work to help the scales drop off)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by bluecharlie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 18:20
by bluecharlie
xx
poorly hen

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2015, 12:06
by Sassy
xx
Poorly Ex-Bat ?

Started by Alby on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 11:19
by Foxy

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 34 queries.