B & S ignition timing

• 23 Replies

Gwiz

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 17:50 »
Thanks for that Dori  :D

I take it that you work on these things as well?

dorimower

• Experienced Member
B & S ignition timing
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 18:00 »
Hello Graham...

I did once upon a time...but these days I am but a simple gardener :wink:
...although I still get to look at the machines at work...this week possibly..given the forecast.!!

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with machinery these days... I used to like to puzzle things out and beat a poorly machine...hence I suddenly felt the need to post on a few observations from the sidelines in this case just in case they may help.?..but equally these days I much prefer garden muck to machinery filth....as my old mate John in my former employment used to say..."they only bring them here cos they want them cleaning"....or in the case of an electric machine.." cos they want the cable untangling"...such was his sense of humour. :)  :wink:  

Garden muck is clean muck :wink:

"Dori'"

Gwiz

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 19:58 »
Your mate John's quite right!
I've been working on this stuff now for far longer than I care to remember, certainly in excess of 20 years.
These days I don't work on machines that belong to the public, all my work is on newer machines that is used by the national landscape maitenance/construction company I am employed by.
You are quite right about the points gap being 20thou, or rather that is one of the figures given. I tend to go for a slightly smaller gap, given the age of the engines that seem to pop up on this forum! I reckon that the magnets in the flywheel tend to lose a little strength over time, and the coils are a little long in trhe tooth also. I don't suppose it makes a great deal of difference in the long run, it just makes me feel a little more sympathetic to the poor old things. In fact, I haven't fitted a set of points to any of our equipment for at least 10 years, we don't have any that still have them. But I do occaisionaly have a "friend" who has dug up an older machine from someplace and it won't run :roll:
Our friend spon here seems to have a bit of a "pig" that won't play nice. I wish I lived a little closer so  could go and teach it whats what! :lol:

dorimower

• Experienced Member
B & S ignition timing
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 20:35 »
Hello Graham,
 I was on YTS scheme when it was 6 months and then out ....working at a local sales/service agent..I remained there for 18 months all told...until they had another idea...then a spell with a local council walking behind a Vergecutter76, Bunton and Victa and then a move back to the sales/service/spares..I helped a guy build up his machinery business over 8 years...sadly with his ill health and rent increases etc, etc I was there when it all sadly went pop...we had plenty of work/spares sales and happy customers but the business was, I would describe, as an in between size..not big enough to command large discounts on new machines and spares but had grown out of the owners original secondary work "garden shed" based repair business.  
 We held Qualcast/Suffolk/Atco/Webb, Flymo repair agencies..and Wolf Garten Sales and Repair agencies..I used to enjoy sales of the Wolf 'lectric mowers as they did exactly what the literature claimed..powerful induction motors and grassboxes that would fill to the top even in long or wet grass conditions...I knew what I was telling a potential customer was absolutely the word.... :)

At work these days we still retain I think one machine with points ignition  B&S 3hp on a 1981 Marquis Mk5M...a real Marquis. :wink: We also have a  1995 one with onset of rotary mower laws on the cylinder mower..all for the best of safety motive I fully appreciate..but leading to a hunched tiring stance in operating with the 1995 model. :?   To be fair I have not used the motiv-air model as we have not got that new yet :oops: so I best go no further with my soapbox  :? :wink:

I add...as of todays date I've been 16 years as a gardener...

..and I'm bending the thread off topic....sorry :oops:

regards,
     "Dori"

Spon

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 21:03 »
Just a quick update, chaps.
I have taken the side cover off today and found that the marks on the cogs line up correctly. While the engine was on the bench, I have taken the opportunity to take the valves out for inspection. The valves were not seating very well and I have ground them in a little better. The valves could do with recutting if truth were known.
I have reset the points to 19 thou and a visual check showed that the points are just begining to open a few degrees before TDC - so I am happy that the timing is correct. I have not had chance to purchase a new set of points or spark plug today so have put the whole thing back together - just in case it decided to work.
With the improvement to the valve seats, there is more compression but it still will not start. It does not seem to be spitting back through the carb anymore - but neither is it trying to fire! Perhaps your comments about the ignition components breaking down under load is applicable and the increased compression has put the nail in their coffin!
Hoping to visit a B&S spare stockist in the morning. A new set of points and a plug will cure the problem - I hope!

Gwiz

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 04:58 »
sounds to me like the poor old beast is suffering with more than one problem at once.
if it still wont fire, it's strip the carb time. I wonder if you should get a carb diapragm while you're at the briggs shop?
good luck. :D

Spon

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 20:04 »
The saga continues!
New points and condenser fitted, together with a new plug. Gaps set at 19 and 30 thou respectively. Result - I still have fuel arriving at the cylinder and there is a spark at the plug - but she just refuses to start. I can hear that it is trying to fire.
I had discounted the carb because I fitted a new diaphram last spring and it was working fine on the 4hp engine it came off. The only reason I swapped it for the original carb was because the engine would not start after I had set the original points. Before doing the swap, I compared the two carbs - including the jets and needles - and found them to be identical. I changed the carb in case that was the cause of the problem, and I knew the replacement carb was O.K.
I have walked away from it this afternoon and will attack it with a fresh mind in the morning. I have had a couple of days off work to start the spring clean on the allotment and have spent most of the time on this engine!

Spon

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03 »
Success!!!!
Well - nearly!
Having walked away from the problem I had chance to think the problem through. I came to the conclusion that gwiz was right when he said it was a combination of small problems all working together.
I put the engine back on the bench and stripped it once more. I replaced the valves with a pair in better condition, out of another engine, and lapped them well in. I replaced the magneto with another that I knew was giving a strong spark and reset the new condenser and points at 18thou. I also replaced the diaphram in the carb (again) and, at the same time, took the opportunity to blow the jet out. I also rewound the starter cord because it was not retracting as it should. I checked the gap on the new plug and put the engine back onto the machine.
Choke engaged - two gentle pulls to prime and - pull. Splutter, splutter, stop. Try again with the fuel needle closed slightly and - away she goes!!
30 seconds later she stops and will not restart! I've lost the spark!
At least I know she runs and it is a simple job to check the ignition system again. Job for the weekend.

Gwiz

B & S ignition timing
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46 »
HUZZA!

you'll be running up and down the plot behind it in no time now!!
well done you. :D  :D

xx
ignition module

Started by jarigo on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 19:54
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Flywheel/Timing settings for howard 200/Villiersc12

Started by sika110 on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 13:25
by sika110
xx
Valve timing of Aspera Tecumseh engine

Started by jackal on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 19:50
by jackal

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 32 queries.