Hello again after nearly six years!

• 4 Replies

orchardlady

Hello again after nearly six years!
« on: April 06, 2021, 16:34 »
Hello wonderful chicken keepers. Nearly six years ago my 21 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer. I got rid of my flock of about 50 free range hens over a weekend because we needed to travel to the US for her on going treatment and was only told four days before we departed that it was going to happen. As you can imagine it was all very rushed and I was so sad to see them all go to a new home. However my girls treatment was successful and she’s now a happy young woman who managed to finish her psychology degree, now works for a Children’s cancer charity and has been cancer free for five years. At last I’m ready to have hens again. However this time they’ll be garden birds in a covered run. Previously I had mostly pure breeds but this time I’m going for hybrids. I’d love to hear about your hints and tips on keeping birds in a good sized garden run with a hen house inside this run. I plan to keep about eight girls this time, so if you have a favourite hybrid hen let me know, I’d love to hear from you. What bedding do you use, do you use wood chip in the run or some other floor covering? I’m so looking forward to re joining the world of hen keeping again. Love to you all. Orchard lady. Xx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hello again after nearly six years!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 18:53 »
Welcome back, orchardlady. 

So pleased your daughter is well and being very successful  :D

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 18:13 »
Hi, I have a solid covered run on concrete, with a house on wheels to make moving around easier for me on my own.
For a run, you could have it divided in 2 so chickens use 1 half whilst other half recovers.
I use a washing up bowl for water as easy to clean

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56 »
great about your daughter among all this bad stuff   we keep Black Rocks  these are sold by agents around the country the website has a list  [we get them as day old and enjoy rearing them in a home made brooder ]
you can get point of lay   good luck with your choice
from bow like to grow

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 20:23 »
Hello OrchardLady - I remember you! I haven't been on in years either and I'm going to take the plunge with hens again after a two year break and house move. I'm going to get an eglu too so £££ worth committed! :D

So glad to hear your daughter is thriving and I hope you've recovered too - we sometimes forget what a massive effect it has on the person's loved ones as well as the person themselves.

Lastly, I'm going for hybrids too - aka egg laying machines. I think I'll just get what's available and cheapest/best layers. All my previous hybrids were a tough bunch. Have you got yours set up yet?

xx
best layers in first 2 years ?

Started by kev1986 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 15:17
by joyfull
xx
My chicken died and is only 2 years old?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2016, 09:18
by Sassy
xx
Could one of this years pullets have a partial moult?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 08:58
by Casey76

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.