How high should a run be?

• 14 Replies

Henlady

• Experienced Member
How high should a run be?
« on: January 26, 2010, 21:34 »
Totally new to this and my house arrived today so we will be building that at the weekend but I'm planning on getting my husband to build an extension to it as I don't think it is big enough.  I want to have a hinged roof so i can clean it and they will be out in the garden if I'm there.  My husband doesn't want something that makes the garden look a mess but I obviously want to protect from foxes etc. and i want them to have enough space.

So would 75cm be high enough for the extension part of the run?  And should it all be covered.  I am planning to put chippings down in the run near the house but I am thinking of leaving the other part as soil or will that just turn into a mess unless covered?

If I can pursuade him to make it large enough the run will have brick walls on three sides and the open side will face due south.

Any suggestions?

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Re: How high should a run be?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 21:45 »
Suppose it depends on how much room you have.  I used to have one that was small and back breaking to clean out, plus got very wet.  So, hubby made a run attached to the garage with the coop inside.  It's roofed and I can walk in to clean it out, also got a light for dark nights.  It's excellent, far better than what I had.

I'd say think about it and go as big as you can.  Take a look at other peoples set ups for inspiration.

From this

To this

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 21:48 by smiler43 »

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 22:12 »
Your new run looks great.  Lovely design on the door.  It is going to be under my kitchen window so can't be as high as that as it will have to stay below the window cills.  If I have a covered roof I would have problems hinging it open and keeping it water tight at the wall.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 22:59 »
I agree new run looks great! Just a thought if you need to keep run height down(i think 75cm should be ok) could it be built so you can lift and move for cleaning!

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:37 »
I was hoping to fasten it securely to the walls as the space is about 6 m wide and I did think that would save having to build 3 of the sides I would only need one long side and a roof.  Not sure if my husband will agree to the run being that size but it's my birthday soon so i'll claim a hugh run as my present. 

Once the flower bed is cleared and the house up it will be easier to see what we can do.

vichope74

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:18 »
Smiler - would your husband like a trip to the Highlands to make my chooks a snazzy run like that???  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06 »
Don't restrict height because of the kitchen window, take the roof above it, what better than a view directly into the chook run? :D

A walk in run would be better if you can manage it.  So much easier to clean, spaceous and airy.  I love going in and sitting with the girls, I'd feel very out of things if I had to sit outside and watch them.  Having said that, mine can't free range, so I don't get to enjoy them loose in the garden.

My set up was a birthday present last year, including the girls, and it's the best birthday present I've ever, or will ever have.

My run is down at the bottom of the garden built on to an outbuilding, so neat but rustic.  Smilers is just perfect, and exactly the sort of finish I'd go for if it was closer to the house.

Since this picture was taken, we've added an opaque roof, because it was just horrible and muddy.  Now the girls are fluffy and dry at all times, and I can go and sit in there with them come rain, hail or snow :D

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:39 by Flowerpower136 »

cheshirecat

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24 »
Hi there, my new bespoke run/coop has just been delivered and erected!  I replaced the old one because it was a bit of sight and also I couldn't stand up in the run to clean etc.  It was a pain and didn't do my back any good  My new set up has a run 6ft high and is absolutely fantastic.  I am so pleased with the whole thing and the girls took to it straight away no bother at all.  So would concur with everything others say about thinking seriously about the height of the run.  Will post some photos as soon as I can get someone to take some for me.   :)
Max.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 18:47 »
i would say build the extensoin large enough so u can walk in there you'll never know when you will need to do that ,also its slighty more better protection agaisnt the fox geting on top . mine run is 7 foot high and i would never have anything lower then that .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 19:30 »
I have a 7ft run at the lottie, however to be honest the extra height only really benefits me for cleaning them out. Although I have built an extra level with a couple of pallets and a ramp. Depends on the chucks really, Hybrids and large fowl probably wouldn't use the height. However flighty birds like hamburgs would probably enjoy the flying space!

Steve

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 19:38 »
Thanks for the lovely comments.  I'm well chuffed with it and he's not really made stuff like it before.  Also we now have guttering on the front. 
Most of it was scrap wood that he got from work, scaffold boards are at the bottom.  We had to buy the wire, roof and guttering.  I love being in there with them. 

It's well worth going as high as you can makes life a lot easier.

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 21:23 »
Not sure about going above the windows as I do open them often in the summer, and the cats will go out them and if I had chickens coming in.  Don't think that would work unfortunately.

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 21:38 »
smashing runs...maybe we ought to have a sticky featuring some of these fantastic examples!! :)

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 19:05 »
that does look like a cosy run smiler  :D , i am good at building runs that are large enough an strong enough to house a monkey  :lol: :lol:

Carl_shave

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 20:19 »
75cm is ok if thats wot you want just as long as it does everything that you need it to do and easy for you to clean and stuff, nice coop iswell you must have happy chickens  :)

xx
How high

Started by MKD on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 19:51
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how high

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 17:33
by grinling
xx
HOW HIGH

Started by happyclucker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 13:55
by happyclucker
xx
How High??

Started by Pep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 16:12
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 38 queries.