Raised Beds

• 10 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Raised Beds
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:20 »
Hi, I have a few questions about raised bed design.  I'm going to construct some raised beds using 2.5m decking boards - three per bed - 2 for the sides, and the other one split in two for the ends.  I was going to use blocks of wood to hold the bed together at the four corners - perhaps 30cm long and two inch by two inch.

Firstly, how does this sound.

And secondly, where is the cheapest place to purchase standard sized decking boards?

Thanks.

cadalot

Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:30 »
You will get 8ft 2.4m not 2.5 metres or 3.6m and cut them up

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36 »
There's a farm and country store near us - petrol garden tools including Sthil are as cheap as anywhere on the net and this is where we got our boards from for our (slightly) raised beds - Decking Board (Treated) 4.8m x 32mm x 125mm --- £7.33 --- from Telford Farm Machinery (TFM)

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37 »
Sorry yes, 2.4 metres.  Cant go any bigger than that because they wouldn't fit in my car.

Any thoughts on best place to buy them?  And where is best place to buy the stakes?

In respect of the stakes I guess they don't need to be pointed at the end, so I can just buy some lengths of wood, 2" x 2", and then cut them to the right length?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47 »
If the longer ones are cheaper - cut them in half in the carpark  ;)

If you put your location in your profile - we could see where you live - someone may know a local supplier
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:48 by mumofstig »

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 16:07 »

Hi, I used old scaffolding boards(3.9 m long) I cut them into 1.2 m. and 2.7 m lengths,approx 8x4 ft.
           I bought them from a local scaffolding firm,they can't use old,damaged boards ,but they are ok for raised beds.
           They are probably cheaper then decking ,thicker and more durable.
           They cost 2.50. each ,three years ago,and the bloke who owned the firm delivered them for free.
            It might be worth giving your local scaffolders a ring

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 21:26 »
My raised beds are made from treated gravel boards 2.4m long from Wickes.  They are about £21 for five.  Not sure if they are the cheapest but they have proven themselves to be very long lasting compared to untreated wood.
Cheese makes everything better.

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 22:18 »
Ice they have gone up £24.18 now for a pack of 4 for 2.4m lengths

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 22:51 »
Ice they have gone up £24.18 now for a pack of 4 for 2.4m lengths

Well that's rather cheeky if they have raised the price and reduced the contents to four from five.  Tell you what, I need some more and I will check this out in my local store tomorrow.

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46 »
My mistake it was 5 - one when elsewhere and I forgot I had removed it
So they work out at £4.84 each for the pack and they sell at £4.99 if bought on their own

I have a couple of projects in mind and noting that B&Q have dramatically increased the cost of their decking have been looking at gravel boards.  if their web site is correct the B&Q Gravel board is 25mm and not 19mm wide and are £4.98  each so a stronger thicker board for a penny less? 

Champions are 22mm thick and £6.50 each £6.37 each for 2 and 3+ they sell at £6.25 at those prices it a wonder the sell anything.

Local Fencing Company to me Smith Fencing Carshalton are selling 150 x 2400 x 22mm at £4.17 each

So it looks like your better off looking at local fencing companies and suppliers than the DIY and Timber merchants

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 14:23 »
Sorry yes, 2.4 metres.  Cant go any bigger than that because they wouldn't fit in my car.

Any thoughts on best place to buy them?  And where is best place to buy the stakes?

In respect of the stakes I guess they don't need to be pointed at the end, so I can just buy some lengths of wood, 2" x 2", and then cut them to the right length?
Re- another post of yours, use half-cut fencing stakes cut to height and make a pointed end as it is far easier to hammer them in if your ground is heavy. For boarding, contact a local building firm as they sell old scaffolding boards quite cheaply.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
raised beds

Started by boosmummy on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 19:55
by Growster...
xx
Raised beds

Started by muckyboots on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 18:38
by LotuSeed
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Whizzy223 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 11:04
by Undala
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Shieldsy on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 17:50
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.