Electric Propagators
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:38 »
Electric Propagators which is the best one to get thank you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric Propagators
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 13:34 »
I2 years ago I started with a windowsill one similar to this

Still use that, but now also use one that has room for 2 fullsize seed trays, or rows of small pots :)

jezza

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 20:54 »
Hello I use a Ward propagate that holds 4 half trays or 8 quarter trays I also have a Gardena windowsill propagate that holds 7 quarter trays  jezza

Ema

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 07:48 »
I was also wondering the same, whenever I’ve seen them at the garden centres the plastic looks very brittle. Want to get a good quality one that will last! Had a lot of germination problems this year I think because my draughty window sills were too cold, we’ve replaced window hinges and seals and it’s amazing the difference that has made on our old upvc windows.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:38 »
Just to follow up and say I went for a Garland big 3 with automatic temp control.

Most of the basic ones don’t have thermostats and this was in of my biggest concerns as I think there a fire risk

I’ve got onions, peppers and aubergines in it at the moment

I have deep window sills so knew it would fit but it’d recommend measuring the space you are hoping to put one

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 00:54 »
You can pay an absolute fortune for heated propagators. I have had several over the past four decades and I have just decided to buy some new ones this winter. In the end I have settled on the Stewart 38cm propagator and added remote thermostats. The Stewart stuff seems well-made and durable. When I bought them a few weeks ago, B&Q were selling them for £15.00 each, I see today they are now over £20.00... Time of the year I guess, still good value though. There are all sorts of remote thermostats available (A Google search will bring up lots of them) and expect to pay around £15.00 each. This way for around £35.00 (at today's prices) that has to be a good value. I have also bought a couple of heated mats that can be used under non-heated propagators for versatility. 

Just a mention regarding use of the temperature probes on the thermostats. There seems to be some debate about where to place them. Some say they should be in the soil, others say they should be in free air. Well, in my humble opinion, both are correct. It depends on whether you are maintaining soil temperature for seed germination or maintaining air temperature for growing plants on.

The power ratings of the thermostats are high enough to run several heated propagators form one unit. However, they will all run at the same temperature which, if you are growing lots of similar plants, is not a problem. Having more than one thermostat will give more flexibility.

I hope this helps.

Ralph.
I need more space...

xx
electric propagators

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 18:33
by Paul Plots
xx
Electric propagators

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2023, 07:11
by jezza
xx
electric propagators

Started by ilan on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:50
by Lawrence
xx
Cheap electric propagators

Started by mashauk on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:17
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 45 queries.