Jack russell

• 10 Replies

Bailz

• Experienced Member
Jack russell
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:23 »
Hi people i have a little problem i have a 3 year old ruseel bitch had from 8 weeks. she is a great dog does everything i ask of her until i walk onto my allotment then she is between my hen run and my rabbit run. i really enjoy taking her down with me but its begining to be a problem now has anyone had this problem and if so did/how did you solve it plz plz help cheers Bailz
Cheers Bailz

compostqueen

Re: Jack russell
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 13:47 »
Leave her at home  :D

My JR was a ruddy nightmare on the plot other than when he was under the shed after rats and rabbits, then he was my little prince  :D

JR's instinct is the chase. That's what they're about. If you want an easy life don't invest in a JR. Sorry  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 14:02 »
Can't add anything to that. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

freckledbeck

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 21:21 »
Dont necessarily agree with the above... have had 2 JRs and a Border Terrier and all were fine with my livestock. Think it depends on upbringing and training how they react to smaller animals/birds. (In fact the JR we have now has stopped asking to go out in the garden to go to the loo because we had some ex batts who used to follow her around and peck her! They are now at the allotment and she is happy to go in the garden again. This is the same JR who will chase and kill a squirrel on a walk with no hesitation) But once your terrier has decided small furry/feathered beasties are prey, I think it will take a lot of intensive training to convice her otherwise.  I guess I'd start by walking her miles before an allotment visit, and then providing her with a distraction eg nice big tasty beef bone?
You have two choices; train her or leave her home!  ;)
Fantastic dogs, love mine to bits.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 22:40 »
We have a large Anatolian Shepherd and he stops most unwanted behaviour when squirted (or even shown now) with a standard fresh water bottle such as sold in the supermarket. This was recommended by a dog trainer and certianly seems effective.  However a friend's dog just tries to catch the water in it's mouth and thinks it's a great game.  Worth a try though.
John

nickmcmechan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09 »
stops most unwanted behaviour when squirted

don't want to dis you john but these aversive techniques are now, generally, not used - they can cause other issues as you create low level fear in the dog; then danger is that these levels can increase and, especially with dogs, turn to agression in the long term. Debate on this is probably not for an Allotment Forum - maybe more for a Dog Forum.

Anyway, the above is right - train or leave at home.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 18:34 »
Not heard anything about this before.  Will talk to the trainer! Thanks for the response.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:03 »
Not heard anything about this before.  Will talk to the trainer! Thanks for the response.

No probs, I used to use similar techniques years ago but am involved in working trials and noticed that all the top handlers used positive reward techniques (to get your dog to clamber over a 6 foot scale twice  the dog needs motvation!!).

There are other techniques and I would recommend those that are in line with APBT philosophies and tecniques. The best book I've ever read is 'the idiots guie to positive reward dog training'. Also, would highly recommend anything by Ian Dunbar (IMO if Ian Dunbar is the God of the Dog World then Cesar Milan is, metaphorically speaking, the Devil!!!).

PS, its likely your trainer will insist he is correct. Two truths of the Dog Training world

1. if you ask the 100 top trainers in the world how to train your dog, you will get 101 answers!

2. if there are 3 dog trainers in a room the only thing that two will agree on is that the third is talking nonsense!

Anyway, ensure any trainer you use relies on positive reward based training methods, not aversive techniques (i.e. more Ian Dumbar or Victoria Stillwell than Cesar Milan). Watch out for talks of dominance theory (50 years old and has been proven to be flawed), check chains, pinch collars, shock collars, spraying the dog with stuff, alpha rolls, manhandling the dog etc etc. Stick with techniques that involve rewarding the dog when it gets it right!

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 21:38 »
checked with OH this action was receommended by chief RSPCA trainer for SW! Mainly used to stop excessive barking at Postie and one or two other disliked (in the dog's opinion) visitors.  We certainly use positive rewards where possible but I don't quite see how you can do this to prevent unwanted chasing of livestock etc.  Our dog is a big spoilt softie I can assure you and has a life of indulgence.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 17:23 »
Hi John.  You might find David Ryan interesting - http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-to-change-predatory-chase-behaviour-in-dogs/
He trains predatory aggression using positive reward training.

As Nick says aversives are damaging methods, a dog can ofcourse can seemingly not be affected negatively by them however the point is there are better methods out there. 

I would be rather worried myself if an RSPCA trainer was suggesting those methods (not suprised though). 

Using the situation suggested think of it from the dogs point of view - Postie = Water squirt/rattle can/air spray = the Posite becoming seen as a threat.  Next time the dog wont give a warning bark or growl he will just nip instead given half the chance.

Dogs bark for a reason and its up to us as the evolved mammal to find out why and change their perception of the situation or you will never truly cure the dog just get rid of the symptom.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17 »
I would be rather worried myself if an RSPCA trainer was suggesting those methods (not suprised though).

me neither, all you have to do is trawl through the dog forums to find out about the RSPCA...an organisations which does good work but unfortunatley seems to have lost its way, too much about ivory towers these days.....

xx
For Jack Russell owners...

Started by Trillium on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:57
by Pep
xx
toy for Jack Russells

Started by Trillium on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 15:13
by willowish
xx
jack being stupid

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 06:14
by karlooben
xx
And I thought Jack was the only one who is blind.....

Started by MJS on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 08:41
by Raven81

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 38 queries.