Mountfield M1 Rotovator

• 41 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« on: May 06, 2012, 14:41 »
Just been given a Mountfield M1 Rotovator with a 3.5hp Aspera engine. Model LAV 35/DA-261. No user or maintainence manuals. But, there are one or two helpful manuals within the manuals link. Before an attempt to start the engine I need to perform a couple of things. Change engine oil. But, I can't find any reference to an engine oil drain plug. Is there one? Any help with the location would be appreciated. I'm also intending to replace the old spark-plug. Currently a Champion UJ-12. I have in my possession a NGK B-2 LM. The equivalent NGK is quoted as B-2. Is the LM version OK to use? I attached a photograph. Thanks.
IMG086.jpg

grendel

Re: Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 15:03 »
It will be useful for you to know that the Aspera engine is in fact a tecumseh engine (made under license)
the manuals are available here - http://www.allotment-garden.org/shop/rotavator-manuals
I have two of the 3.5 hp Aspera's in a horizontal engine format, and they are a very simple engine, neither of mine worked so I got them both running fairly simply, so if you have any engine related questions, I'll try and answer. the biggest thing will be cleaning out the crud from the carburretor, once that is done, as long as the valves are operating (you can just see them moving through the spark plug hole) and the points are clean and gapped correctly, you should be fine, mine starts quite easily.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 15:37 »
B2-LM plug will be fine.
There is a drain plug, it's on the bottom of the engine where you no doubt won't be able to get to it! I'd remove the fuel from the engine and pour the oil out of the filler cap if you don't have an oil suction tool. :)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 16:52 »
Thanks Grendel and Gwiz. Much appreciated.

Any idea of the points and plug gap details please?

Thanks.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 19:07 »
Stretching my memory, I think the points are about 18-20 thou, plug 25 thou.
You might find the points gap is embossed onto the points cover plate.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 14:19 »
OK. After an initial checking over it would appear both points and carb requires some attention. Can't see a spark and after a few pulls on the starter rope I would expect to see some fuel on the plug. It was dry!!! Firstly, I've removed the carb (pics attached). Please an "idiot's guide" on what to do next? Now don't shout. But am I being silly here? The engine is an LAV model. Lightweight Aluminium Vertical. When I check for a spark; ensure plug is touching engine block whilst pulling starter rope. If it is Aluminium????? Any and all information much appreciated. Thanks.
S1051572-001.JPG
S1051572.JPG
S1051572-001.JPG

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 14:31 »
Apologises for previously posting the same photo 3 times.

The carb is an Dellorto FHC 2013.

S1051572.JPG

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 16:41 »
You're going about it OK, Remove plug, lay it touching the engine (somewhere metal) it matters not a hoot if it's ally. Put throttle onto "start" position and pull the recoil. You should see a spark across the points of the spark plug.

The delorto carb is reasonably straight forward. Remove the nut on the bottom of the carb bowl (next to the springy plunger type of doo-berry) Take the bowl of (you'll see a large rubber o ring that seals the petrol into the bowl, remove this with care, and hang it up for an hour or two.
Remove the float and it's pins, and down the central tube you may well see the main jet which will unscrew. Be very careful when you do this as not to damage the thread that the nut that holds the bowl goes into. Clean the jet's holes using carb cleaner (wear rubber gloves and don't get any in your eye 'cos it stings to high heaven)
Also clean all the airways in the carb, reassemble in reverse order.

Any problems, shout again! :D

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 19:37 »
Thanks Gwiz. My first job now is to purchase some carb cleaner. Taking off the air-filter cover I find that there is no foam element. Is it advisable to purchase a new one or can I make/form one from a new sponge? Cleaning the outside of the carb can I use WD40 or petrol or wait until I've some carb cleaner? Thanks again.

grendel

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 22:41 »
the manuals or the carb are on the 'rotorvator manuals page, you will probably find the bowl full of sandy grit, this will be the remains of the fuel that has dried out and formed deposits. dont be afraid to be generous with the carb cleaner, the carb on my aspera was as bad as yours and a good clean sorted it. you man need a new washer on the little springy bit at the bottom of the bowl, its just there to empty the fuel out of the float chamber when you finish, but if the washer goes will leak like a sieve. also check the fuel tap, the little gauze filter on the tap can easily get blocked an stop fuel flowing.
Grendel

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 15:55 »
Grendel, So the "push-button" at the bottom of the carb bowl is to empty the bowl of petrol after use. Not to prime the carb prior to use? Thanks.

Gwiz

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 17:38 »
It's a handy feature to expell stale fuel......

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 18:04 »
Grendel, A big favour please. Would you please send me the dimensions of your air-filter cover. I'm trying to establish if an air-filter foam element to fit mine is available to purhase? My cover internal dimensions are: Firstly it is egg/oval shape. Width = 65mm. Height = 70mm. Depth = 60mm. Photos attached. Thanks.
S1051575.JPG
S1051576.JPG

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 18:15 »
Ebay
Part number 23410001
Fits Tecumseh (Aspera) Qualcast.
If you get in touch with the sellers, I think you'll find it's the dimensions you want.
The air filter cover for your machine might be somewhat difficult, but I do know a chap who will be coming to us next week to buy all the scrap machines we have taken in part ex. He may very well have the part you are wanting.
Do you want me to ask?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECUMSEH-QUALCAST-QX-SUFFOLK-PUNCH-FOAM-AIR-FILTER-/120910833613?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item1c26d8e7cd
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 18:19 by Gwiz »

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 21:43 »
Thanks Gwiz. I now know where to purchase an Air Filter foam element which may well fit my requirements?. After reading through my last posting I also realise where a mis-understanding could be interpretated. I have both an Air Filter housing and cover. It is the Air Filter foam element which is unfortunately missing. Tomorrow is the big day of stripping down the carb and aided by Grendel's and your instructions a good clean. After which I need to check the points. An idiot's guide would be much appreciated. I've removed the engine block cowling/cover. Now what? Thanks.

xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator

Started by rossco on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 21:17
by muckshifter
xx
Old Mountfield rotovator

Started by toastedcrumpet on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 17:08
by toastedcrumpet
xx
Mountfield Rotovator M1 Gardener

Started by matthew2riches on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 17:31
by matthew2riches
xx
Mountfield M1 rotovator oil seals

Started by rotokid on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 08:36
by rotokid

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.