How to create a terrace. Concreting in the uprights?

• 4 Replies

JohnB

I am about to build 4 terraced walls. I am using concreate posts for the verticals and I have just thought I have no idea how to make a straight line with the posts or to get the tops level.  Further more I have no idea how to make the concrete up. It has been along time since I have done anything like this. People keep mentioning balast for mixing with the cement? also there will be a line of gravel running along the bottom to keep the wood from laying in wet ground what should type of gravel should I use?  Thanks for your time JB

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: How to create a terrace. Concreting in the uprights?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 15:40 »
John, I've moved this to design and construction to make sure the "builders" see it. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 16:11 »
.. how high are your terraces going to be, and I assume you mean concrete fence posts.  What / how much are you holding back ? 

I've spent a lot of time researching how to construct my final terrace here and Im still not happy about doing it any other way but properly.

For some light bed time reading you can have a look over here http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur04.htm

JohnB

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:36 »
.. how high are your terraces going to be, and I assume you mean concrete fence posts.  What / how much are you holding back ? 

I've spent a lot of time researching how to construct my final terrace here and Im still not happy about doing it any other way but properly.

For some light bed time reading you can have a look over here http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur04.htm

Up to 3 foot possible 4 foot high each post will go into the ground on the minimum of one third below ground at least.
I have spent over a year researching how to do terracing. This includes talking to expert who supply the material and give free advice via email. They have stated the following:-

Option 1the Timber should be at the front fixed in place by special screws (not bolts). As this is purely for aesthetic reasons and as I am using concrete posts I will not be doing. Instead I will paint them black (bitumen paint) wrap chicken wire round them and put a climbing plant at the bottom. Next they say you should put a plastic damp course behind or and gravel. Both will help stop the timbers rotting and at the bottom you need to run a line of gravel to protect the bottom timber. Next the timbers, there is a multitude of railways sleepers available from the normal pine creosote to Indonesian and Australian untreated treated timber with a natural water resistance. All have the same thing in common they are not a one man lift unless you want to spend a lot of time on your back.

Option 2 is therefore the pressure treated tantalized sleepers and of similar dimension to railway sleeper. Note railway sleepers are designed for railways not for terracing so they can be defined as “over the top” 

Option 3 which I am going for is 2" X 4" timbers pressure treated with REAL creosote not the replacement one.

Of course there are multitudes of other ways of terracing for instance dry stone walling (6” in the ground 2’ 6” maximum height with a lean back of 2” for every 6” up), Gabon’s 1 meter by 1 meter by 2 meter “cages” you fill them with….what ever you want. Colored concrete blocks which are not cemented but follow the 6” up two inches back rule (any height) etc.

Useful sites about crested timbers railway or other
Myths and well……….total rubbish written about creosote
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/railway%20sleeper%20treatments.htm
Loads of pictures (possible 100s) of terracing projects
http://www.railwaysleeper.com/Customers%20ideas,%20photos%20and%20projects.htm
uksleepers.co.uk
Email from expert:-
Good afternoon,
I would put the uprights behind the sleepers out of sight. You can screw through the back of the uprights into the sleepers so that no fixings are visible (Timber Titan are perfect for the job).
I would not personally bury the sleeper (horizontals) just place it onto a shallow trench filled with gravel to aid drainage, it will also be a good idea to protect the back of the sleepers with either gravel or a plastic membrane - not 100% necessary but every little helps.

Now can anyone tell me how to concrete posts into the ground so the tops are level and upright and the post are in line?

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 21:34 »
postcrete for your post it is ready mixed dig your hole put in post to desired depth add 1/2 bag of mix dry set post upright with spirit level attach a couple of braces to secure if needed add a couple of pints of water and ram mix with a stick,1/2 hr post will be solid fix string to post and set out straight line height can be measured from top of post down to string line to get next post correct.
Be aware Postcrete is quick setting and will only give you 10mins working time once damp,also try and get posts square face on to string line.
Easy to do hard to explain!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

xx
New Garden very steep hill.........terrace????????

Started by JohnB on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 23:30
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 34 queries.