Blueberries

• 10 Replies

pepsi100

Blueberries
« on: September 24, 2022, 12:40 »
I have a couple of blueberry plants, a couple in pots and some along side my fence

I have had a few berries from them this year, not enough to make a pie (or anything else with them)

They have all grown really well in the pots, look good strong healthy plants, but the ones along the side of the fence are pretty weedy looking, no real decent lok to them

I have put this sulpher stuff on them to try and feed them, but they dont really improve or give much fruit this year (or any other year)

They looking nothing like the pictures of the plants the seller was selling them on

They are all about two years old now, I was hoping for bushy plants with lots of leaves and flowers

Now at this time of the year, do I prune them r just leave them ?

Last winter I covered them in a fleece in the hope they would get off to a good start, seems it was a waste of time

I have given them various feeds over the summer, plenty of water (but not water logging them)

What can I do to improve the health and growth of them and more importantly, increase the yield of fruit ?
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 20:08 »
It might be worth doing a pH test for the soil which the plants are in (not the pot ones). Sulphur chips can hel with pH but if your soil is fundamentally alkaline, the plants will always struggle a bit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 21:17 »
I’ve never used a test kit
Any recommendations ?
If my soil is alkaline, how do I fix it?
Is there anything I could add to the soil?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 22:27 »
It is generally thought that the test tube ones, where you take samples of soil from a depth of perhaps 6" and mix them with liquid in a test tube, are more reliable than soil probe tests.  You can do the test yourself - no need to send off to a laboratory for it

Ultimately, if your soil type is very unsuitable for a plant, then you're not going to win the battle in the long term. But get the test sorted first, and then review the situation.

pepsi100

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 00:45 by pepsi100 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 10:15 »
A bit expensive for just 2 pH tests, but I'm sure it will do the job for you.

If the pH is a lot higher than the ideal of 4.5-5.5, as Yorkie has said, your plants will struggle, especially if the soil also gets waterlogged in winter.

If your soil is in fact naturally quite alkaline, you could try digging them out when dormant, removing a bucketful of soil per plant, and replanting in ericaceous compost.
You would still need to keep a check on the pH, using sulphur chips if/when necessary (bearing in mind they do take months to work.)

The flower buds for next year start to form this autumn, so don't expect a fantastic crop next year even if you do manage to make them feel a bit more at home.
Good luck!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 13:41 »
When I planted them out I dug out the old soil and replaced it with ericaceous compost, several bags

Then I added this sulphur chips stuff, I really dont know if it did any good though

I didnt know it at the time, but my wife had been using the hose and tap water to water them

She used the rain water from the water butts for all the pot plants

Now I just use rain water from my water butts

(Maybe this hose pipe ban does have some benefits)

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 13:26 »
I contacted the RHS, they recommended using vinegar, 1/2 a cup to a gallon on water in a watering can, using a spray end

Then spray it onto the soil on a weekly/monthly basis

Bit dubious about this

I know vinegar is an acid, but could it change a soils composition to any extent ?

They did say I could check my soil acidity place 2 tablespoons of soil in a bowl and add ½ cup vinegar. If the mixture fizzes, you have alkaline soil.

Place 2 tablespoons of soil in a bowl and moisten it with distilled water. Add ½ cup baking soda. If the mixture fizzes, you have acidic soil.

If it does not react to either test, the soil has a neutral pH.

TBH, I havent tried either of these test

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 14:27 »
Best to wait until you get your chemical test kit before deciding what to do next  - the RHS suggestions are valid, but would only give you a rough idea of the pH, not the exact figure you are looking for.

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 09:35 »
While I am waiting for the test kit to arrive

I used this gizmo to get a rough reading

I took the pictures in 3 different places where the blue berries are

To me it looks like it pretty much in the middle, I'm not sure how accurate these gizmos are

(sorry about the condensation on the meter)
thumbnail_IMG_2418.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2420.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2421.jpg

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 01:23 »
I tried the tip the RHS sent me, using vinegar, half a cup in a gallon of water, yes it does work, I checked the acidity level, it bought it up to very acidic, but it only lasts 24-48 hours, then goes back to the center of the meter

I dont think its a very good way to improve the soil or lower the Ph of make it suitable for blueberries

I think adding Ammonium Sulphate to the soil on a regular basis is the way to go

I add coffee grounds anyway, just hand fork it into the soil, but I dont think they are doing much to the soil

xx
blueberries

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 15:50
by JayG
xx
Blueberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 15:38
by sclarke624
xx
Blueberries!

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 08:04
by Wildeone
xx
Blueberries

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 29, 2022, 22:03
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 47 queries.