Managing water

• 9 Replies

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Managing water
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:10 »
Didn't know what to call this topic as the main problem is I'm a bit vague about what I need!!  :unsure:

We have no mains water, for the house, plot or croft, just a spring and collected rain water. The spring is getting less reliable so our rain system needs to be less random/Heath Robinson!
I seem to spend a lot of time carrying buckets of water because something has either run out or frozen, or is in the wrong place to be used. (One cow drinks 8 buckets a day - ask me how I know this  ::) )

The spring water is pumped into a tank above the house & can be used for everything in winter when the flow is strong. We've got the house guttering flowing into a water butt, a row of buckets under the shed eaves, that I carry into the greenhouse. When there's a drought, like now, we collect water to flush the loo by scooping it out of the shower with an icecream tub, into a bucket - sharing that so you realize how much we need you!
A lot of the time I end up using top quality, electrically pumped spring/drinking water for things other than drinking, just because its easiest.

I want to move the rain water about so it can go to animal troughs, greenhouse, toilet, and make more organized use of grey water.
For starters I need a small, portable pump but what would be reliable without breaking the bank? I looked at stirrup pumps but that's not right - I'd be pumping from a water butt some of the time, or sometimes from the shower or washing machine into the toilet cistern.
Where is the best place to buy butts, taps, hose, etc?

Most of all I need inspiration please & a basic idea what other people do to start me off.  Tell me anything at all, however irrelevant,  about your water system ,
thanks, Windy
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:58 by coldandwindy »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: Managing water
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:33 »
...OR is pumping & piping the way to go? Am I better buying/making a bowser?

animal-drinking-cart-sch-adc.jpg
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:45 by coldandwindy »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:23 »
Not sure I can help really, but the name that springs (no pun intended) is Dick Strawbridge, he did this sort of thing. At my old allotment there was no water on site & I was able to get hold of an ibc tank & hubby connected the shed guttering to it, it was amazing how quickly it filled up, so I’d certainly be thinking about getting a host of those.
My allotment was on a gentle slope & I had a few plastic & metal barrels that were big, so I strategically placed them down the plot & linked them together with hosepipes that were in turn connected to the ibc tank at the top. I used to mover the water down the plot to save carrying it to the crops at the bottom etc.
You can get solar powdered pumps now, would they help?
Have you got or could you construct more water collecting roofs around where you want the water the most. Even a funnel type device on top of an IBC tank would fill it over time.
What about underground water storage containers for grey water etc?
Perhaps look at the eco friendly house type build website/ YouTube there’s bound to be a whole host I should think.
Good luck &  I’ve always fancied visiting that area, since I watched Castaway with  Ben Fogle before he became a celebrity,it sounds a lovely place to live if a bit harsh at times.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 17:51 »
I remember someone on here using one of those large white ibc containers on their plot.  It went green inside from algae - if memory serves right, that is because light could get to it.  Perhaps something to bear in mind.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 20:32 »
I remember someone on here using one of those large white ibc containers on their plot.  It went green inside from algae - if memory serves right, that is because light could get to it.  Perhaps something to bear in mind.

I’m not sure if you can get black ones or people paint or wrap in black plastic as I’ve seen black ones but not up close

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 10:41 »
Good point thank you. Would be almost impossible to clean.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 10:44 »

I’m not sure if you can get black ones or people paint or wrap in black plastic as I’ve seen black ones but not up close
I've seen covers for sale - just a cube shaped plastic tent thing. I'm guessing it would take one about four minutes to blow away here!  :D
Very useful point though. If I go down the "home-made bowser" route I could look at small black tanks in general - it wouldn't need to be an ibc.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 21:24 »
I attach a hose to my water butt to water polytunnel, but also to move water from butt by house to refill butt by polytunnel.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 08:31 »
I attach a hose to my water butt to water polytunnel, but also to move water from butt by house to refill butt by polytunnel.
Do you pump it grinling, or is it arranged so gravity does it?

grinling

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 19:09 »
just gravity
another good trick is to put the end of the hose into a watering can, so it continues to fill whilst you water

xx
Well water

Started by Balaton Ben on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 21:25
by Balaton Ben
xx
Help with water butt

Started by wizzywig27 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:45
by compostqueen
xx
Water trough

Started by bigginge on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 10:59
by TerryB
xx
Water pipes

Started by shay on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 08:10
by oldbean

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 48 queries.