sweet peppers were hot!

• 2 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
sweet peppers were hot!
« on: August 28, 2014, 20:29 »
I grew some yellow sweet peppers (Mohawk F1) from seeds.  They turned out to be hot!  I don't have a very high tolerance for chilli peppers so they may not be very hot to some people, but they were hot enough to make my nose and lips burn when I rubbed them while chopping the peppers. That was when I realised...

There was no warning on the packet and I thought that if it said it was a sweet pepper, then it wasn't hot. Am I wrong?

I grew 4 plants, nice healthy ones with loads of peppers on.  Two I haven't tried yet, but three of the plants have green peppers about 3-4 inches long and not showing any signs of turning yellow, I have cooked some from one plant in a stir-fry and they seem no different to ordinary green peppers.  The other has lots of small fruits about 1-2 inches long, turning yellow quite quickly.  These are the ones that are hot. I haven't mixed them up with another plant as the only other one I have grown this year is a large sweet pepper (California Wonder) and the plant looks very different to the Mohawk.

Has anyone else grown Mohawk? Is it supposed to be hot? Or do I have a freak batch of seeds?
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet peppers were hot!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 20:44 »
Mohawk is a sweet pepper, so, I'd assume the one with the smaller fruit has grown from a rogue chilli seed. It does sometimes happen.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: sweet peppers were hot!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 21:33 »
Thanks Mum, I've emailed Suttons with some feedback. 

I'll be interested to see what the other ones turn out like, but you can be sure I will be handling them very carefully!

xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 08:00
by Longshanks
xx
sweet peppers

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 21:00
by Mr Dog
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by brotherdeal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 23:40
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.