New to allotment and looking for advice :-)

• 26 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Re: New to allotment and looking for advice :-)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 14:45 »
I got my first half plot on a council site late last year, it was in cracking condition with very little work required.  However, I recently inherited a half plot on the same site that looked like Jurassic park.  Plenty of hard work but hacked and dug it all out and took many bags of weeds and their roots to the council dump.  Wouldn't touch roundup with a barge pole, dig it out and then weed little and often.  Hard work, but so much more worth it.

BobE

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 16:16 »
Thanks guys.  All information is much appreciated.

I've gone with your advice of avoiding the rotavator.  It looks like the weeds are killed off with the first douse of Roundup but may give it another spray in a few parts.

I've covered half the plot with black plastic which I plan on leaving in place for a few months to try and rot away the what's left of the weeds and then start digging it over.

Once dug over I will probably cover again over the winter ready to start sowing next season.

Seems the sensible thing to do following all of your advice.

I'm looking into a small chicken coop in the meantime to keep me occupied down there.

Once again many thanks to all of you.

Kind regards
Rich

That sounds a good plan, around me,  lots of people cover over in the winter.  If you can get some cardboard down, over winter it breaks up and you can dig it in, does lots for the soil structure.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 17:01 »
I would get out as much of the weed roots as you can and plant some green manure for overwintering. My pick would be a grazing rye like http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Seeds-Green-Manures/c21_51/p388/HUNGARIAN-GRAZING-RYE-112g/product_info.html. You plant that in september and leave overwinter and cut down in spring and dig it into the soil. That stuff has a really extensive root system and does some of the digging for you! and prevents nutrients being washed away AND helps supress weeds. Win, win win. Just be careful to dig in during spring before it flowers.

There are loads of different green manures but Hungarian grazing rye is something ive had sucess with on my heavy clay soil.

BobE

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 17:05 »
What happens if it flowers?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 17:16 »
As far as im aware it produces seed so you can end up with rye grass regrowing in areas where you have planted your veg. Also a side note, when you dig in the rye it releases a compound that inhibites germination for 3-4 weeks. That's also another reason why you dig it in, in march/april.

BobE

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 17:19 »
Great info Eight

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 18:15 »
 Welcome Rich :) I did the same as Seaside(17.33 yesterday) and have now got quite a heap of ggod soil. Whatever you decide, it's always best to take it slow an easy. Good luck.

seaside

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 18:34 »
I have been very impressed indeed with the amazing lift in fertility of my neighbour's plot this season after the use of organised green manure. I will be doing something very similar. Here's my plan. I hope to have it completed by the end of September as I have found early Autumn is THE time to dig with the least angst and backache  :-

Leave as normal  the over-wintering crops for food etc (PSB, kale, onion, aquadulce broad beans, parsnip and Brussels to finish ). Chicken manure and FBB for these beds will then have to do next year.

Tares or field beans for next year's brassica site, not sure which yet .. mash up and dig in early March. A bit of lime.

Alfalfa or mustard in most other beds that need a good old general fertiliser. Some areas are quite depleted.

Will not try any clover as I am not all that up with it yet. I don't want the green manure to run away with itself. I want to feel as if I control it, and I don't particularly have defined marked beds. The rye also gives me the same worry as it looks too much like couch :D. I know it is highly recommended but I think I'll give it a miss this year.

Rotted horse manure for the early potatoes next year from a good source and a real good attempt at revitalising my inherited raspberries and blackcurrant ... they need it.

I will also be digging the piled high last only remaining virgin part of my plot that I know houses a great many ants. Up until now I have been worried they might take umbrage and head for the only dry spot left, my greenhouse, but it has to be done. I have a feeling 3 years of stacking waste on top of it will result in a fairly fertile bed with little extra input.

After all that I might just take on the rather hairy plot borders that involve many brambles, nettles etc... some folk have very very well kept plots indeed and make for less fuss and heartache. But I sort of like the unkempt sort of feel around me if I'm honest, as long as the food grows well in decent soil. Makes me think I'm in the middle of nowhere with a few bees.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 18:37 by seaside »

willp

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 18:35 »
Go Go Green Manure!!

I had quite poor results with grazing rye when I tried it - mind you the beds I tried it on had terrible sour soil and I`m amazed it grew at all. This year I am giving vetch a go as my main overwinter manure - I have a half plot that I took over from the guys I used to share with that has spuds in as a clearing crop. This will be under green manure as soon as they are up.

This site has about the best prices I`ve seen:

https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/seedmix/green-manures

They are aimed at farmers but do kilo quantities - just make sure you highlight the kilo button before putting the quantity in if you order - otherwise you`ll end up with enough for 2 hectares :ohmy:

Buckwheat is also a favourite of mine for odd gaps at this time of year - this is cheap enough at T**co, from the wholefood section

Will

FarmerRich

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 21:56 »
Once again thanks for all the advice.  Nice to see so many people offering advice.

I might try the green manure technique.  Do you need to let the allotment authority know in case they believe the plot is not been cultivated or is it accepted over the winter months?

Many thanks
Rich

willp

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 08:14 »
Do you need to let the allotment authority know in case they believe the plot is not been cultivated or is it accepted over the winter months?

Shouldn`t worry about it unless somebody asks - it might look like a sea of grass (technically it will be if you use rye ;) )but it will be "cultivated".

You may even find a clause in the tenancy agreement about maintaining the fertility of your plot, which is exactly what you`ll be doing.

Will

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:50 »
Also good tip before round up collect any weeds that have seed head or pending seed head and chop them off in a bag and dispose otherwise you will find seeds will be your worst friend next year.
Kind Regards
Bill

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
New Allotment, need a little advice....

Started by nylonhandle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 16:03
by nylonhandle
xx
can anyone help with advice on my new allotment please??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 22:26
by mkhenry
xx
New allotment advice

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 20:08
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 31 queries.