Quince tree

• 1 Replies
Quince tree
« on: June 04, 2019, 09:37 »
I have 6 year old Quince Vranja. Despite it having abundant blossom, and the bees working it busily, I end up with only 2 or 3 fruits that fully form. I do not prune it. I live in Ynysybwl, near Pontypridd. What, if anything I am doing wrong

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Quince tree
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:47 »
Quince trees like a lot of water, so it may be that it is getting too dry and dropping fruits.  You could try mulching the soil next winter to help with water retention.  If there is stuff growing at the base, clear it away.  Grass and other plants around the trunk can really knock a young tree back.

If the tree is growing very fast, it could be putting more energy into leaf and branch than fruit.  You could try pruning this winter to focus its energy into less branches and hopefully more fruit. 

Mine has off years when I get nothing, but the following year it is usually laden. After 6 years you should be getting more than a couple of fruits.  If the tree flowers, that is a good sign, so with any luck it should not be too tricky to get yours into production.

xx
I think I have a Quince tree

Started by alsagerman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 15:58
by gavinjconway
clip
When to prune a Quince tree.

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 19:14
by Yorkie
clip
Quince tree problem

Started by Kay Langridge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2019, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
quince

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 21:22
by New shoot

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 29 queries.