Cucumbers

• 5 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Cucumbers
« on: June 29, 2008, 17:19 »
Hi

We have 4 cucumber plants in the greenhouse - all of them now have cucumbers on them albeit small ones.  My question is how many cucumbers can one plant grow/support?

On one plant alone I have counted 14 cucumbers as I say all in the early stages but it seems rather a lot to me.  Do I need to pick some off to give the others a better chance or just pick some when they are small to eat - my daughter loves eating whole baby cucumber.

Do I need to feed them if so what with?

Thanks very much

willnbirdie

mike2niner4

Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 17:51 »
Hey,

Im a first time grower of cucumbers and recently harvest my first two! Its so exciting!

On my plant i spotted loads of little baby one's and still am although some are starting to die off which don't seem to have got much bigger.

The label on mine says you should give it a regular watering to encourage the fruits to swell and feed it every time. I would use tomato feed especially when the fruits start to swell but for general use on my plants i am using Liquid Seaweed stuff...

Mike

Woulfeman

Cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 18:05 »
I am also growing cucumbers for the first time.  I have no fruit again, but the tentrals are all over the place.  Could I cut these without doing damage to the plant itself?

mike2niner4

Cucumbers
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 18:08 »
I decided to cut a load off of my plants (Cucumbers, Cyrstal Apple Cucumbers, Melons etc) as i heard they get rid of lots of energy from the plant and thye were just getting in the way so fingers crossed they didnt do anything bad!

gobs

Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 18:36 »
Quote from: "willnbirdie"
Hi
  My question is how many cucumbers can one plant grow/support?

More than you can easily eat! :wink:

I wouldn't feed them all the time, just about once in a fortnight, maybe they need a bit more in containers.

A bit of pruning does them good and this is usually necessary in the gh, this doesn't mean losing tendrils and leaves though, pinching out growin tip to develop side shoots.

I never bother though outside.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Cucumbers
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 19:23 »
Cheers for all the replies - will look at pinching out the top shortly - may still pick some before maturity as the little 'un loves them.

willnbirdie

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
cucumbers

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by Lionel
xx
cucumbers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 22:31
by DD.
xx
Cucumbers

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 22:03
by Springlands

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 31 queries.