Cucumbers

• 8 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Cucumbers
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:31 »
I know this is probably tempting fate but I feel I now have to plan ahead! I sowed 8 cucumber seeds this year hoping to get 1 to a reasonable size as for the past 2 years I have killed every single one - even a huge plant I bought for the garden centre in a moment of 'well I can't kill this one'.

This year.... (Whispers) they have all germinated and are growing very healthily and are already a fairly decent size  :wacko:

The space I had allocated - a tiny area of trellis is only really big enough for 1 plant so I need to think ahead in terms of support structures. They are outdoor cucumbers so I wondered if a wigwam like I do for my runner beans would work? I have used all my decent chicken mesh for my peas and mangetout but have lots and lots of canes so if I can avoid buying anything extra...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38 »
They can't climb in the same way that runner beans do, so need something additional for the tendrils to cling on to if you're using canes - horizontal strings between the canes should do the job, plus a bit of tying in if necessary.

I'm no stranger to killing cukes either - cold is the most likely problem with outdoor ones, too much direct sunshine can fry indoor types.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:10 »
Someone gave me a dog cage that I took apart and used for peas and my Marketmore Cucumbers last year 
Cucumber - Ex Dog Cage.jpg

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:21 »
I used a simple interwoven canes structure and tied the stems or tendrils on as needed.  This picture has squashes growing over it but cucumbers worked just as well...

Anne

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:23 »
I put mine to grow up and over an arch that has cheap wire mesh fastened to it. They get to about 6-7ft that way. I have 2 plants either side of a 40cm wide arch. Planted in hillocks so the stems don't get wet.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:28 »
Ok, so,e great ideas there thanks (I thought I would be pushing it with a wig wam!) I will have a rummage round and see what creative options I can come up with!

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:02 »
Wigwam draped with pea netting maybe

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29 »
i would have thought you could get them to go up a cane, the main problem may be if they can support the weight of the crop so they don't just slid down the canes.

may be add some horizontal canes to the wig wam so they can only slip so far.

you will also have to train them differently if going up a cane. you need to just leave one or two flowers per side shoot and nip the tip off that side shoot. this will encourage upward growth and stop them becoming an entangled mess.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:53 »
I use clematis netting for all sorts of things - maybe £-land have some cheap stuff?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 14:10
by spottymint
xx
no cucumbers

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2014, 12:37
by mumofstig
xx
cucumbers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 22:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 33 queries.