What size pots do I need for growing tatties?, spud q's

• 18 Replies

freebo

Hello all,
Thanks for all the good adivce I've read here already.

Since my veg plot is pretty small I'm looking to grow potatoes in some sort of container, question is how big do I need the container to be?

Also any thoughts on suitable containers, I see suttons do 3 pots for about £20  :roll:  but was looking for something a bit more cost effective, although they need to look presentable for the wife (she's a bit "garden proud").

Lastly, can anyone reccomend where to buy the seed-potatoes? Guess I'm after heritage types to make it worthwhile growing them.

Thanks!

Mike

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 15:27 »
can ya get any old plastic crums or anything 10 gallon types . old dustbins chopped in half will do as well ... anything 20 inches across and 18 inch deep will do ... skip diving trips prove fruitful :wink:   thompson-morgan.com for ya spuds seed :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

Kerry

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 15:29 »
Hi Freebo,

Don't know whether it's any help, but I skank flower buckets from the local florists, only get one or two in at most, but did it this way for years until Hubby built the raised beds and I always got a decent crop.

I also understand if you go to Tesco or Asda you might get them but I think they charge 20p or something like that each.

I've seen the spud buckets in the garden centre and personally I think theyre a hell of a lot of money.

Cheers,

Kerry.  :)
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 15:34 »
I got some of those pop up rubbish bags for 3.99 in Brick Kiln Bognor Regis don't know if there are anymore of those shops around.  They were cheaper and bigger than the £15 potatoe bags that Wyevale sell (you get 3 in a set for that £15).  Only thing is they only have one hole in the bottom don't know if that will be okay, but I'm gonna do it anyway.  The bags I got were 23" high  (58cm) by 18" wide (45cm).  I am also growing four to a compost bag as per Muntys advise (I think it was Munty).  But these are first earlies and second, not sure about maincrop.  I'm sure someone will give you a link to read about using old empty compost bags.  I only put my first lot in empty compost bag three days ago and thy have sprouts just under soil I can feel.  They didn't chit very well so put them in anyway.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 16:03 »
Hello, been away for a while.

I'm growing potatos in 2 big old plastic dustbins this year. I didn't think to cut them to half the height as munty suggests. Think I'll do that.

I was a bit worried about whether the bins are food grade plastic or if it even matters :? I going to do it anyway though.

I saw a blog last year where a guy was trying this which was very funny. It didn't produce much of a crop and he'd made the pics amusing. I can't find it now though. I'm using proper seed potato though and good fertile soil/peat/compost.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

fluffypebble

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 16:10 »
Tesco's are selling the pop up bags for about £1 for 2 They are about the same size as the ones you have.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

WG.

Re: What size pots do I need for growing tatties?, spud q's
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 16:43 »
Quote from: "freebo"
Hello all,
Thanks for all the good adivce I've read here already.

Since my veg plot is pretty small I'm looking to grow potatoes in some sort of container, question is how big do I need the container to be?

Also any thoughts on suitable containers, I see suttons do 3 pots for about £20  :roll:  but was looking for something a bit more cost effective, although they need to look presentable for the wife (she's a bit "garden proud").

Lastly, can anyone reccomend where to buy the seed-potatoes? Guess I'm after heritage types to make it worthwhile growing them.

Thanks!

Mike

Look for forestry companies in the Yellow Pages.  Trees for planting come in big strong plastic bags - maybe 500 gauge.  Turn 'em inside out to get black outside and they look half decent.  You can punch a hole in the side for a strawberry plant if that appeases Mrs Bo.

Tree nurseries are not the place to go - tree planters are the folks who throw them out.  Obviously a nursery might tell ya who they sell to to plant them.  :wink:

shaun

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 22:22 »
seen those big plastic builders buckets (cant think of the name)there about £5 each they would look ok and you would get about 5 or 6 plants in each one
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 22:24 »
trugs ........

shaun

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 22:24 »
same to you  :lol:

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 22:25 »
I liked their version of Wild Thing. :D
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

shaun

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 22:29 »
yes and me  :?

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 22:33 »
trugs are big tubs you wassucks .. and its the " TROGS "for wild thing you noggins  :lol:

shaun

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 22:39 »
and another good one would be plastic manhole raising ring.the ones i'm thinking about are plastic about300mm high and 250mm across(they come in bigger and smaller sizes though)and are black.
so you plant it in one ring and as you earth the plant up you add another ring.
polypipe make them.

WG.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 22:43 »
Quote from: "shaun"
and another good one would be plastic manhole raising ring.the ones i'm thinking about are plastic about300mm high and 250mm across(they come in bigger and smaller sizes though)and are black.
so you plant it in one ring and as you earth the plant up you add another ring.
polypipe make them.
or tyres

xx
Size if spud sets

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 10:12
by digalotty
xx
Growing tatties for Christmas

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 19:30
by digalotty
xx
What size pots??

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 21:02
by mumofstig
xx
what size pots

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 19:06
by hiccup

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 34 queries.