Tomatoes what size pot is best?

• 11 Replies

LILLILEAF

Tomatoes what size pot is best?
« on: February 21, 2023, 20:10 »
Tomatoes in the greenhouse, what size pots do you use?, what shape rectangle square or round.
I use a sheep mineral bucket generally they are rectangle and you don't waste any space in the greenhouse.
How much depth of soil does a tomato plant need?,any idea,is it deeper the better or not.

AndyRVTR

Re: Tomatoes what size pot is best?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 20:56 »
Orange 14ltr builders buckets from B&Q is my weapon of choice!  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 06:06 »
Like Andy, I use very large pots - about 10" wide, and make sure that there are a few inches of ordinary garden soil in the bottom, before topping up with new compost.

Hopefully, the toms aren't too leggy, but I try and bury them as deep as possible to encourage root growth up around 9" of stem below the surface. I've tried putting two plants in each pot to increase the yield, but am not really sure this actually works well, as they do get a bit crowded, so this year, they'll probably be on their own!

I also use those long watering trays which can take four of the pots - maybe even the buckets as above, and water them direct to keep them from drying out! I can never remember whether to feed from the top or from the bottom though...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 07:22 »
I forgot to add, I add a tomato 'halo' on top of my compost filled buckets, I find it makes watering & feeding so much easier and like Growster, I also Bury plants as deep as possible, it makes for a much stronger plant with a far better root system.
Screenshot_20230222_072032_Chrome_copy_516x443.jpg

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 08:02 »
we also use black builders buckets about 20 in cold greenhouse most are what we call 1 and a half we cut the bottom out of one bucket then put this, half in a complete bucket main bucket has drainage holes about 1 inch up allowing a small amount of water in the bottom 1 plant per bucket as others have said plant buried deep. we bury a small pot into bucket so when watering the water does not just evaporate in hot weather.
from bow like to grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:23 »
Last year, after potting up my seed potatoes, I had 2 30L tubs left over. I put 2 cordon plants in each tub and stood them at the high end of the g/house in a watering tray. My greenhouse is an high eaves (aka extra-height Vitavia)
Had a fantastic yield on them, until late on in the year, and they grew and fruited right up to the top. I had to add wires to support them up there, and of course needed the step stool to reach them  :D I will be doing the same again this year, of course.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:26 by mumofstig »

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 17:01 »
Mine are a mix of 60l rectangular ex-recycling tubs, 30l and 20l containers. I go for dwarf or determinate in 20l, a single indeterminate in 30l and 2 in the 60l. Bigger the better imo, they still need a lot of watering. I let the indeterminates a go to 2 stems last year as I don't have too much vertical space

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 17:54 »
Andy, do you feed from the top, or the bottom?

There's the tap root at the bottom, and the fibrous roots at the top, but I just cannot recall which lot feeds, and which lot drinks!

Any ideas?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 19:14 »
I've always fed & watered from the top G & always had decent results, my older brother sinks a length of 2" pipe into his buckets which goes to the bottom and feeds/waters through the pipe.. I'm not sure if there's a right and wrong way?

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 08:38 »
We have used pots from the supermarket that used to be safeway,  they are surplus from their cut flower section, approximately 6 for 99p the last time we bought some , they require drainage holes. Have used them for several years.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 10:30 »
Andy, do you feed from the top, or the bottom?

There's the tap root at the bottom, and the fibrous roots at the top, but I just cannot recall which lot feeds, and which lot drinks!

Any ideas?
I've read that you feed the fibrous roots at the top and water the tap root at the bottom. I have used those green square tom planters which you push into either a growbag or in the ground but find the top of the soil in the pot gets a bit dry, so this year I'm going to plant my toms straight into the greenhouse beds then add a goodly supply of mushroom compost around them to help retain moisture.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 12:02 »
Thanks, Goosers - I'll write that down...!

It makes sort of sense to think that the top roots cover a wider area - or volume even, so will take up more grub that way!

I've wondered about root trainers, but as I still have several large pots lying around, they all get used each year!

Come to think of it, I'll have room for several more Roma toms outside this year, so will look at how they're going in! Thanks for jogging the old grey matter, (the brain, not the whole head)...:0~

xx
best size pot or bucket,tub, bag for growing your tomatoes.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2024, 13:06
by muckyboots
xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
Bed size

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 17:01
by milkman
xx
bed size

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 10:23
by bigben

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 47 queries.