Really compacted soil, best way to treat it?

• 25 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Really compacted soil, best way to treat it?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08 »
Wowww...  You have a lot of gullible friends, WR.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 15:01 »
Looking at the weeds around the plot, the soil seems to be fertile, so it will probably be fine when wet.

al78

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 22:40 »
Thanks for all the advice. I plan to do a bit of digging after work a couple of evenings this week.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 22:56 »
As you mentioned you have no transport, and getting materials in like compost or manure is costly, I know cos I have the same problem myself.  Green manure seems the most cost effective hassle free way to go.  I have very heavy clay, I did rye grass, vetch, and red clover last Autumn.  It did help improve the soil a little, it would of been better had I not left it a week before first frosts when sewing lol.  I plan to do the same again in the next couple of weeks.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

cadalot

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:43 »
After bending my fork in half dealing with something similar but was shiny and polished and the fork would not go in without extreme work - I now attack with a pick axe and then dig with a fork and get out as many weeds and root systems as possible - a whole year of digging and I'm only just 3/4 done.

I am getting very good with a pick axe though  :lol:

I've taken time to create paths and beds, and by breaking it up in that way you feel like you are making progress. Also take lots of photographs (I do each time the next bed gets dug), add them to a diary - that helps when you feel like you have hit the wall (as runners would say).

al78

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33 »
After bending my fork in half dealing with something similar but was shiny and polished and the fork would not go in without extreme work - I now attack with a pick axe and then dig with a fork and get out as many weeds and root systems as possible - a whole year of digging and I'm only just 3/4 done.

I am getting very good with a pick axe though  :lol:

I've taken time to create paths and beds, and by breaking it up in that way you feel like you are making progress. Also take lots of photographs (I do each time the next bed gets dug), add them to a diary - that helps when you feel like you have hit the wall (as runners would say).

Are you getting a huge muscular upper body as well?  :lol:

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54 »
I would go for as much compost and manure as you can get, put it on to a depth of around 3-4 inches. That will stop it drying out much more and nature will start mixing it up. Then when moist enough then do a light digging to get it mixed a little better on the top. Nothing will happen immediatly without a huge amount of work.

Keep adding material over the next few years and dig it more each time, eventually it will be fine.

I would also mark out an area at a time as this can be done in any convenient size and you see results for that quicker, could also plant something in the completed section, and don't kill yourself trying to all in one go.

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15 »
You could always just build raised beds on the ground and fill with manure/top soil/compost. This would prevent you having to dig up the ground at all.
Sorry Rexmundi - if you did this on un-dug, heavy compacted clay soil, you would get waterlogging problems from poor drainage.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25 »
If you can get hold of heavy duty weed supressing membrane (expensive but lasts a lot better than the flimsy stuff) you can cover the dried out pan of soil while you work on another area. The membrane will allow rain in, reduce evaporation and stop it turning to mud, as well as gradually softening the ground. Additional benefit is it keeps the weed seeds off so it will be ready to go in the spring. Clay soil which yours looks like is generally quite fertile so you might get away with one or 2 seasons of not adding too much to the soil. Having said that Growmore or chicken manure pellets are a fair substitute for nutrients but not humus.

Work on another area you CAN get your fork into, turn it as best you can then cover with as much manure as you can get hold of. (Do you know of anyone with a trailer that can help you get some or do you know any farmer types who may deliver for a small fee?)

Once you have a workable area go back to the membrane covered area and turn it back little by little digging as you go. Personally I would then recover until I actually planted it up.

It could take you more than one growing season to get it fully workable, unless you have loads of volunteers to help you
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47 »
You may find that an azada is useful once the rain has penetrated a bit. Not used one myself but there are some fans on this forum.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=82294.msg924094#msg924094

Ema

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 15:38 »
if you want to plant the soil up now, you could do it the hard way with a folk or hire a rotavator which can still be hard work.

you could wait for some rain rake the ground well and sow some green manure - winter field beans are good for breaking up heavy soil and can be sown now into november.

you could buy in a load of manure, spread on the ground and leave the bugs to do the work.

I have a patch under plastic about 6ft by 9 which looks like yours underneath, Im hoping to use a bulb planter and pop some kale seedlings into the ground

xx
Compacted soil.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 07, 2022, 11:30
by snowdrops
xx
Courgettes and how to treat them before flowering

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 10:02
by JayG
question
How to treat an allotment with manures / fertilizers

Started by kirby-11 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by Zippy
angry
Using neem oill to treat nematodes

Started by logi06 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 21:13
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.