Ex-batt rehoming - wish me luck...

• 17 Replies

lina

Ex-batt rehoming - wish me luck...
« on: April 15, 2009, 18:51 »
I have finally taken the plunge and will be picking up 3 ex-batts at the end of April.

Thanks to all your earlier comments I have opted to site them at the bottom of our yard rather than the 'lot.

I'm pleased to announce that the 3 lucky ladies will take posession of a 6x8 shed (in much better nick than I thought and seems a shame to waste) and I am going to construct (?) a 6x6 mesh run which will sit on the exisiting concrete. The shed door will open into the run.

I feel a bit mean about them not having access to grass / real dirt in the run - but will they miss it? They will only be able to free-range under strict supervision.  :unsure:

Also - will all that coop space be wasted? I am buying one of those conversion kits so there will be a perch and nest boxes but that still leaves oodles of room.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.

Lina x

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Ex-batt rehoming - wish me luck...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 21:33 »
Sounds like they are going to chicken heaven!!  Good luck with your girls.
mrs.ploppy

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 22:00 »
Hi I divided my shed so I had space to store their bedding etc. I've only got a 6x4 shed and even divided up there is plenty of room for 3 chickens. mine have scratched away all the grass that was in the run so don't worry about that I give mine cooked veg scraps to make up for it
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 22:51 »
Chickens need a place for a dust bath too so if they are not able to dig in the run, can you provide something like a washing up bowl of earth that stays dry so that they can dust bathe?

Exbattmad

• Hen rehomers uk
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 22:57 »
Well done for choosing exbatts :D
As they wont be on grass you can give them some greens everyday, not too much or they will get the runs, a few cabbage leaves(mine love spring cabbage) this will make up for them not having free access to grass.
I bet you are ever so excited waiting for the ladies
Lucy
Rescuer and rehomer of ex batts!
http://www.henrehomers.net

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53 »
good luck!

i echo everything above.
also, give them lots of cuddles!
(rita, when she was new to us, used to climb up on the chair and sit on my lap and she has always jumped up onto adam's foot  :D )

if your shed is slightly open to the elements (okay if it's only a door), they might use part of it for shelter when it rains::::
 maybe you could separate it inside to have the sleeping bit at the back (like a log cabin would be) then you could put the food and drink at the front part and the dustbath.  it woukld make it a lot easier to keep them dry and would mean they would have extra space to wander in and not waste all that shed space!

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 14:41 »
maybe you could take them down with you to the lottie on a nice day and they can pootle around with you! :D

lina

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 17:42 »
Thanks folks, fab advice, helpful as ever!

Foxy - I thought I was mad contemplating taking them up to the 'lotty for a run around. I might have to wait until they are less bald or I may be accused of chicken abuse!

Will keep you posted of our progress.

Lx

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 23:05 »
I used to take Valentine and Fanny my bald ex-bats down to the lotty to play on warm days and my plot neighbour was really upset at the state of them. I would put them in my cat carrier and bungee them into my bike basket. On one journey Valentine laid an egg! Well done for getting some of these hens, it is very rewarding. The day Valentine's bum feathers emerge I will be putting up bunting! Nic.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 23:24 »
Best of luck with your ex bats and don't worry so much as they are gonna love you so much for giving them their freedom. I worried so much before getting mine, I wanted everything to be perfect for them, i even fretted over the amount of perch space they would have...I needn't have bothered as none of them even use the perches :tongue2:, they're happier cooched up together on their woodshavings and no matter how hard I tried i coudln't get them to use the perches so i gave up in the end and they are happy doing their thing. :D
Katt

Cat

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 23:50 »
TO protect my girls from typhoons, snakes and rats, mine are on a concrete slab. I have a few plastic trays with sand in them for my girls to scratch about. It is more to clean but if i leave my girls out on the grass etc they would not be safe.

Good luck with them.
Lead, follow or get out of the way

WoodyK

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00 »
Well done for choosing ex batts. I got three last summer and have not regretted it one bit, they are wonderful creatures.

I have the same problem as Katt, my girls rarely use the perches and all huddle up together in the nest boxes. I gave up trying to move them and now have to change the straw every morning! ;-)

They will soon put some feathers on but I think it is a good thing if non chicken rearers see how bad ex batts are when they are released, might make them think a bit about what eggs and egg products they buy.

W

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17 »
ah, woody!
we get round that problem by using sheets of newspaper under the perches/in the sleeping area.  that way every day you just remove the old sheets and put down new ones - much less messy and much much cheaper!  :D

(the sunday times is the best for it - but the free papers you get will work just as well)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 21:05 »
I had the same problem as you woody. I solved it by using wood shavings instead of straw. It is easier and cheaper to remove poop stuck to wood shavings than try to replace the dirty straw.

WoodyK

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 15:02 »
I put shavings in then felt guilty as it was so cold so put the straw back in.

Might try the shavings again as it is warmer now

Thanks

W

xx
Norwich Ex Bat rehoming 7th 8th Feb

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 09:14
by LittleRedHen
xx
When rehoming ex batts,

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 11:43
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
Rehoming more ex batts ?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 18:30
by Catsmuvva
xx
crates, for a rehoming group

Started by mazthegob on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 18:18
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.