poorly hen please help

• 2 Replies

vicpic39

poorly hen please help
« on: September 22, 2009, 22:00 »
Hi, i am new to this site and i have already gleaned lots of information and help. ive had 6 hens for 4 weeks. i got them point of lay, all have been doing beautifully, 5 eggs every day. They have access to layers pellets and plentiful water. I give them greens everyday, a handful of sunflower seed and occasional grapes!They freerange in the garden all day . Late this afternoon i popped out with a handful of said sunflower seeds and noticed that i was mugged only by five of them. Naturally i got into a blind panic and thought one of my babies missing! I found her in her coup (a wendy house with a mezzainine!) in a nesting box, none of them had ever done this before. I left her. half hour later she was up and about. Her rear end and feathers are drooping down she looked uncomfortable, she looked to be continually straining. She has had diarrhoea- small amounts. Her abdomen feels distended, shes very listless, she seems to be in a lot of pain. Ive given water with a bit of calcium. On advice from a chicken keeping friend (he believes her to be egg bound) i held her hinquarters over steamy water and applied ky jelly to her vent. She appeared to collapse and lay quietly in my arms i thought she was dying. it was awful. i cuddled her for a bit, talking to her (as you do). she picked up after a bit and started walking about still straining she had water. she eventually made her way outside and put herself to bed. Im seeing a vet first thing in morning, i hope she be ok. is there anything else i could or should do? many thanks
vic

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: poorly hen please help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 22:04 »
It sounds like she is either laying a soft egg or a rather large one! give her time and if no better pop her in a bath of warm water which will help her release the egg! (be carefull when picking her up as if it is an egg about to be laid you dont want to break it inside her!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vicpic39

Re: poorly hen please help
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 22:33 »
thanks debbie, i appreciate your help x

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen ?

Started by The Good Life on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 22:31
by The Good Life
xx
poorly hen

Started by morbidia on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:10
by ANHBUC
xx
re: poorly hen please help

Started by vicpic39 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 17:55
by kimT

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 38 queries.