Two eggs

• 4 Replies

chuckmad

Two eggs
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:46 »
I've gotten two eggs in the last 24 hours, what a high?
Since easter we have gotten four eggs in total. We got our first two about 2/3 weeks ago, then we thought that the one or two hens were laying in the ditch. We covered over the run with netting and now we have two eggs sitting happily in the fridge.

Betty laid the first two eggs and they were the same size as large eggs in the shop and they were a lovely brown smooth egg. Yesterday, I got an egg slightly smaller but speckled all over with dark brown spots (fab), so I think this is from Stella.

Is it possible to tell which hen laid by the shell???????????????????
Has anyone else noticed this?

carolbriar

Re: Two eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:53 »
I have 4 girls laying and I can tell who laid which egg by the colour and shape.  Once we got our first egg I was watching and listening and as they laid I would go and collect the eggs and see who came out of the house. We can see the coop from our kitchen and can hear any noise from them so I am able to see who has laid each day.  It's useful knowing which ones are laying so that if there is a drop in numbers for any length of time you know to check on the hen thats not laying :) 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:24 »
The eggs my black rocks and ISAs lay are practically identical in size, shape and colour, but there are subtle differences.

Although I don't know who lays which eggs I can tell if someone is not laying (and not just that there is one egg missing! lol)

Gingers eggs are very pale/tinted and have a coarse feel to them and are often dotted with calcium deposits.  Her eggs shells have never had the quality to them as the layers, and i can only guess that it is because she is an unknown meat hybrid.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21 »
Wow! how did you train them to lay in the fridge? wish I could train mine to do that. :lol:

chuckmad

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 14:15 »
Well I put the layers pellets in the fridge and the hens are happy to oblige (hehehe)

xx
4 Eggs already!!! : )

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 07:44
by tosca100
xx
How many eggs??

Started by mummychick on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 11:29
by orchardlady
xx
how many eggs?

Started by crowndale on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 18:00
by crowndale
xx
Yay eggs!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 17:54
by emotion-2003

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.