Tinned fruit wine.

• 5 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Tinned fruit wine.
« on: February 26, 2007, 21:16 »
I make most of my wine from fresh fruit, some of which is picked at the end of the summer and frozen until required but a cheap and effective way to make wine all through the year is to use tinned fruit.

I currently have tinned strawberry, apricot and peach wines on the go. The strawberry makes a lovely 'summer blush' wine and the apricot makes a nice, dry wine with a good acidic bite, a bit like Riesling.

As a general guide use this recipe-

2~3 x 400g tin of strawberries / apricots / peach (a peach & apricot mix is particularly nice)
2 1/4 lb sugar
1 ½  teaspoons citric acid
1/2 teaspoon tannin (or leave a tea bag to soak in a little water)
Pectolase (helps to clear the wine)
1 vit B1 tablet or yeast energiser
general-purpose wine yeast
Water to 1 gallon
Optional- An 8oz can of Red/White Grape Concentrate (sold in Brew-Shops or Wilkinson’s for £1.99, this adds body to the wine)

Method-

Pour the juice from the cans into the primary fermenter (bucket) and mash the fruit with a potato masher.
Boil 4 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, place mashed fruit into primary with juice and pour over the sugar syrup.

Add water to 1 gallon, allow to cool to room temp then add the acid, tannin, pectolase, grape concentrate if used, yeast energiser and yeast. Stir daily, for four days and then strain wine into a Demijohn through a nylon sieve and fit an air-lock. Ferment out, rack to clean DJ, stabilise and sweeten with sugar dissolved in water if an off-dry wine is preferred. Rack again after a month and leave to mature for three months, rack again if sediment builds up. Bottle and leave for at least six months before drinking.

:wink:
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Tinned fruit wine.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 22:07 »
hi sideways
have you tried making wine from cartons of friut juice works out very cheap and easy and some great tasting wines :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tinned fruit wine.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 22:29 »
Hi Sideways, yes, I sometimes make wine from fruit juice too like flatcap, very cheap, but now I have started to buy a sack of horse carrots from our local place, and at £1.80 for 25 kgs, I not only have enugh carrots there for 6 gallons of wine, but as in my recipe you only use the carrot water, I freeze the cooked carrots and use them in stews and for soups, and any extras, the chooks get.  Oh and the dog loves carrots too!!!  

Best £1.80 I've ever spent!

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Tinned fruit wine.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:13 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi Sideways, yes, I sometimes make wine from fruit juice too like flatcap, very cheap, but now I have started to buy a sack of horse carrots from our local place, and at £1.80 for 25 kgs, I not only have enugh carrots there for 6 gallons of wine, but as in my recipe you only use the carrot water, I freeze the cooked carrots and use them in stews and for soups, and any extras, the chooks get.  Oh and the dog loves carrots too!!!  

Best £1.80 I've ever spent!

wow! thats some low-cost wine, I'm impressed!

Yes, I have tried fruit-juice in the past, your options really are endless. Best to avoid juices with preservatives in though, they can have a negative effect on the fermentation. Also, If using juice, I find the addition of a ripe banana or two to the primary gives the wine a little more body.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tinned fruit wine.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:30 »
mmmmm, never tried banana for more body, will give it a go!!!

wisp

• Experienced Member
Tinned fruit wine.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 19:44 »
With regard to bananas, what constitutes ripe? Is it when you peel the nearly black skin and the contents pour out  :D ?

On a more serious note, what would constitute a ripe banana that is ideal for the purpose of providing body? I presume it is not when it is all pretty and yellow.

Do you mash, slice or chop the bananas before adding to the ingredients? Do you use the peel?
Cast your bread upon the waters ... and you'll have soggy bread!

xx
Tinned strawberry wine.

Started by Clampit on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:47
by seadart
xx
Tinned peach wine

Started by norfolkgrog on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 21:10
by floydion
xx
Fruit wine

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 09:58
by Capt Zero
xx
fruit wine

Started by mike1987 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 11:11
by mike1987

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 38 queries.