Why aren't some of my girls laying yet?

• 4 Replies

flangey

Why aren't some of my girls laying yet?
« on: July 10, 2009, 15:36 »
I've had my girls for seven weeks this weekend and they were 16 weeks when we got them.  Only one of them has started laying (7 so far bless her).  The others all seem ready, their cones have grown and, apart from two of them, they've all turned nice and red.  My bluebell's (violet) cone has in fact grown so much it has a little wobble! They free range round the garden and I've checked all their favourite spots and they don't appear to have laid them anywhere else, am I being impatient?  Also, they seemed to be really keen on coming in my kitchen and eating the cat food!!! Anyone elses do this and surely it cant be good for them, although they love it!

Caralou

Re: Why aren't some of my girls laying yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 15:41 »
Mine get some fish cat food as an occasional evening treat, it is their favorite, although the cats look put out as they get dried food  :ohmy: :lol: Its a good source of protein, but shouldnt be given regularly, so a little bit now and again will be fine when they steal it  :D

flangey

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 15:45 »
Thanks for that, my dogs love the cat food as well, it seems everyone does except the cats!! wondering what to have for tea tonight....................

Caralou

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 15:49 »
 :blink: according to my parents I tucked into cat food when toddling  :ohmy:!

Think your other girls are just taking their time, or hiding their eggs in a really sneaky spot. On Tuesday one of my girls got caught short. She had gone into the nest box 2 or 3 times and was obviously struggling to get an egg out. She was then having treats early evening with me and suddenly ran towards the coop, sat in the run as she couldnt make it to the coop and out popped the egg (a 103g one) she then looked so relieved as she trotted back for a fuss  ::)

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:48 »
If they were 16 weeks when you got them you should have eggs within the next 14 days. Commercial hybrids usually lay between 20 and 26 weeks. The earliest ones are the buff/red hens later ones are usually the black rocks/bluebells.

xx
Chickens Aren't Laying

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 21:46
by Pig Cat
xx
How do you know which hens are laying and which ones aren't?

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 13:49
by MellowYellow
xx
Why aren't my hens laying?

Started by spicerider27 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 16:12
by spicerider27
xx
how's everyone girls laying.

Started by davidmw on The Hen House

73 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 16:47
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 35 queries.