Cooking garden beets?

• 8 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
Cooking garden beets?
« on: July 03, 2010, 14:23 »
i harvested my first 2 beets, (tennis ball sized) but don't have a clue what to do with them i have never even had beetroot :ohmy: so whats an easy, nice, tasty way to prepare beets ???

8doubles

Re: Cooking garden beets?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 15:47 »
Wash the soil off, twist the leaves off a hands width away from the beet , you can remove small feathery roots but leave the main ones on as if you cut these off the beet will bleed too much when boiling.
Put the beet in lightly salted water and gently boil till tender testing with a sharp knife or skewer.
Empty the beets into cold water to cool till you can pick them up to slide the skin off.

Put 1/4" slices of warm beet in a sandwich ( butter or cream cheese) with salt and pepper and eat after putting an old shirt on as it will try to escape. :)

simple but tasty.

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 16:06 »
Or do the above until you get to the words 'skin off'.

Then chop roughly, put in a bowl with some mayo and cumin, mix and have as a side salad.

islandpeople

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 16:59 »
well done, there not difficult are they, i just cleaned mine cook them in water for maybe 20 mins, drain and leave until cold to slice etc, they make lovely chutney and apparently are very good for you.   They are naturally sweet and you dont always have to soak them in venigar!   I HEARD OF A RED HEAD WHO RINSED HER HAIR IN THE WATER WITH AMAZING RESULTS!  I should have grown some this year but didnt! next year! GOODLUCK Maria

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 20:14 »
I cook them in the microwave, I wash them, trim the top & root then place in a pyrex casserole dish that has a lid (or any microwaveable dish with lid or that can take cling film over it), put approx 4 tablespoons of water in the dish & cook, my microwave is a 650 watt one & depending on the amount & size of beetroots you are cooking they usually take between 12-14 minutes on full power, I check to see if they are cooked by inserting a knife, if they are still on the 'hard' side then I cook for another minute or two - when cooked I leave in the dish for a few minutes, then top up the casserole dish with cold water (be careful not to add cold water to a too hot dish or it will shatter), leave for a few minutes then remove the skins.  Quick & easy.

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 22:57 »
wash them, peel them and grate into a salad (strongly suggest wearing gloves!)

Raw beetroot are lovely! and great if you only have a couple! yum yum yum
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 00:09 »
Beets are delicious roasted in the oven or barbecue. Their sweetness really comes out

If you like roasted veg just add some beets to the tray - just cleaned etc as above. Peel when cool enough to handle  :D

greenun

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:22 »
we Just use them as another veggy. Hot on the plate.

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:52 »
Beets are delicious roasted in the oven or barbecue. Their sweetness really comes out

If you like roasted veg just add some beets to the tray - just cleaned etc as above. Peel when cool enough to handle  :D

They certainly are; I use Burpee's golden or choiggia for my roasted ones; or I get red roast potatoes.

I also use the red ones in soups, and call it blood red soup as once it is whizzed down, it is so thick and red it really looks gothic.

xx
pickled beets

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 10:32
by Spana
xx
Storing beets

Started by Subversive_plot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2023, 10:21
by Subversive_plot
xx
Pickled beets

Started by grenhouse on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 13:15
by Spana
xx
cooking jalapenos

Started by daisy1990 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 09:41
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.