Wood pigeons

• 29 Replies

RubyR3d

Re: Wood pigeons
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 17:57 »
What about one of those 'kites' in the shape of a Hawk (not too sure what bird it is) they use them on the allotments round here so I guess they might work.
I've even seen them when driving past a factory in Crayford to keep them off the roof and I know they use a real hawk to keep them away from tennis courts at Wimbledon so it might be worth a try without breaking the bank.

We have lots of Woodies and collar neck doves (pigeons ?) in our garden and although they are a pest I couldn't kill them and as for eating them  :ohmy: no way. They make me laugh when I see the males going patiently through their very elaborate mating dance only for the girls to ignore them  :nowink:
.    I don't know how much they are but the hawk kites really do work. Last year a farmer round here grew acres of peas and while this thing was flying I truely didn't see one pigeon. They seem to be fastened to a devise by a thickish wire that moves it around slightly.

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 21:48 »
If it's on private land, maybe sounds extreme, but an air rifle?

I had a few problems at my last house and I got myself one and was quite accurate. If u google crowning them too they are rather tasty, although a not so pleasant first couple of times you do it!

Hope this doesn't get me suspended off here!  ;)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 08:51 »
My cat is a bit of a hunter (I don't encourage her, but she was a stay before I got it so I guess it was a survival instinct), but she really doesn't bother too much with pigeons, perhaps her presence (and the other multitude of local cats) keeps them at bay a little bit, but I've still plenty!

Apparently regular flying of birds of pray keeps them at bay - possibly not that practical for a back garden!

Hannah :)

Ema

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 13:25 »
I have to net everything on my plot from the pigeons, black birds and the rooks.

I think keeping a semi feral cat is a good idea and would defiantly be considered if my plot was in my garden.

You could try the plastic owls and birds of pray that they put on boats to keep the seagulls from nesting.
I wonder if the cat scaring sonic devices would work? Or a erratic sprinkler system. Or playing music

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 13:49 »
The main problem with netting is my Anglo-Saxon language!

We've found that the only way to keep the blighters at bay is to net the veg with 8' x 3' cages made from 4' high canes and balls! It's a real bind, but even today, the patch was coloured with some ripe words, but at least they work - the nets, not the bad language..;0)

We have resorted to netting to keep the blighter pigeons off, and they sat on the top, weighed it down and pecked the pea shoots off through it. Next year I shall make a pointy wigwam shape so there is nowhere for them to perch.

And the flattened the top of the gooseberry bushes, breaking down the new growth, to get to the  fruit. Not my favourite birds  ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 14:16 »

I had a few problems at my last house and I got myself one and was quite accurate. If u google crowning them too they are rather tasty, although a not so pleasant first couple of times you do it!

Googled this. Really interesting. ;)

Aled

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 15:52 »
Elmarto beat me too it. I was going to suggest an air rifle. Suitable for rabbits and squirrels too. How about combining a bit of meat you shot yourself with some home grown veg. You could have a full meal without having to go anywhere near a shop?? It is a very satisfying feeling to eat such a meal.
Cheers
Aled 

emaclue

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 17:42 »
'Gas Cannons' can be bought, second hand, very reasonably. One in the middle of the Allotments or bit of ground would do it. Along with a bit of vertical Netting, CD's strung up and a Peregrine Dummy strategically placed all have had good results. A Scarecrow holding a fake Gun on aim works...........the main thing is being pro-active and mixing it up a bit. 

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 19:31 »
Right, after reading all of the above, I've just bought a bird-scarer on ebay. It looks like a giant eye that spins around in the wind. I think it'll work as it frittens me to  death  :D

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 05:17 »
Right, after reading all of the above, I've just bought a bird-scarer on ebay. It looks like a giant eye that spins around in the wind. I think it'll work as it frittens me to  death  :D

Just looked that one up, Alan!

Looks fantastic! Will commence negotiations with Mrs Growster!

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 14:55 »
Just a little word of caution about using air-rifles from my expert shooting husband. You have to be 18 or over to use one and don't need a gun licence unless the energy measurement is more than 12 foot per pound. You would also have to get permission if you use it on an allotment and, if using it in urban areas, you need to check with the council by-laws.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 14:15 »

Don't waste your money Growster. Mine came this morning and I immediately installed it. Pigeons are just about queuing up to pose for photos alongside it. £14 down the drain

8doubles

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 15:23 »
Try this lot ! :)
XQWLXNF6fpo
Someone i worked for had a Scary man and his springer spaniel would spend hours barking itself silly at it ! :D

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 23:39 »
Just get yourself a pet peregrine falcon  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 06:52 »

Don't waste your money Growster. Mine came this morning and I immediately installed it. Pigeons are just about queuing up to pose for photos alongside it. £14 down the drain

Sorry to hear that, Alan!

I'll call off the summit meeting with Mrs Growster, and we'll go down to The Patch and wave our arms about instead..;0)

xx
Wood pigeons

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 21:31
by digalotty
xx
Wood pigeons!

Started by Jamie_D on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 13:36
by Jamie_D
xx
Thanks for nothing wood pigeons

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 14:37
by snow white
xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.