Root trainers

• 4 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Root trainers
« on: June 16, 2015, 17:28 »
Hi,  I am using 5" root trainer pots what is the best seed growing medium to use?  I am using John Ennis seed and I am finding it just pours through the large hole in the bottom and the soil level keeps sinking after watering and taking the seed with it.

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 17:35 by greenhead »

Salmo

Re: Root trainers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06 »
I use general purpose compost. I put it into the trainers and poke it down tight. Then fill again and poke it down tight. They take a lot of compost. Once up to seed level, water, put the seed in and fill loosely to the top. If your compost is going out the bottom why not put a little coarse compost in first and follow with seed compost.

Choisum

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:15 »
I had that problem too so i used multi purpose compost halfway and then sowing compost for the rest.  Just had to be careful to pick out all the twigs and debris from my cheap MPC or else it created a blockage.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44 »
Thank you Salmo and Choisum, and welcome Choisun,  I have had Alderman peas sown since Monday and no show yet.  Good idea Choisum re half multipurpose compost and seed compost I will try that next time.

Mike.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 12:09 »
Just to say I have been using rootrainers for many years now and a general compost will suffice.
Fill the trainers to the top, give them in the rack a sharp tap or two which settles the compost, some compost will come out at the bottom, then either add more compost if you are sowing small seed or in the case of beans place the bean/pea seed in and then top up with more compost. Keep moist as they dry out quickly.

xx
root trainers

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 09:51
by compostqueen
xx
Root trainers

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 16:24
by arugula
xx
root trainers

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 15:04
by Trillium
xx
What to put in root trainers/pots...

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 20:01
by BazTheGardener

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.