Roundup & Ground Cover

• 9 Replies

HRC99

Roundup & Ground Cover
« on: March 25, 2010, 18:20 »
Just taking on my first allotment and looking to start by spraying the weeds with Roundup (or similar) and then covering it with a membrane to get started.

Its all rather expensive though so I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for sensibly priced & decent quality ground cover and for Roundup?  Roundup is the only one I know so if anyone can suggest another product, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

Henry

Lardman

Re: Roundup & Ground Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 18:29 »
There are plenty of alternatives to roundup - they (mostly) all contain the same active ingredient. (glyphosate)

Spray and cover if you must, but have you considered digging and weeding it by hand. Its a lot cheaper and far more rewarding.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 18:31 »
Don't spray with anything just now as it will be a waste of money.  You need to wait for the perennial weeds to be growing actively so that they can take the herbicide down into their roots and kill them.

Glyphosate is much cheaper and is the same stuff.  Get the concentrate liquid and dilute and use it as explained on the pack.

You won't need ground cover unless you plan not to use the land this year. Just dig it over when the weeds have died.

If you cover it now instead of spraying it will kill the perennial weeds but you have to leave it in for a full year.

HRC99

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 18:38 »
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I'll have a look for glyphosate on its own.  When should I be using it then?  When its a little warmer?

We're brand new at this so the plan is to take things steady and cover part of it for the year so we can find our way this year and not be too daunted by it all as some of it is a bit of a mess.  Hence, wanting to cover some of it.  We'd then use the cover as walkways after that so it wouldn't be wasted.

So any suggestions as to where to buy then? :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 19:23 »
 You need to wait for the perennial weeds to be growing actively so that they can take the herbicide down into their roots and kill them.

I pulled the head off a flowering dandelion this morning...  :ohmy: The last couple of days here have really kick started the weeds.

I'll have a look for glyphosate on its own.  When should I be using it then?  When its a little warmer?

When the weeds are growing, the sun is out and theres a rain window. All the instructions will be on the back of the pack / bottle.  :D  I've not used it personally but I believe Wilkinsons do 1ltr of concentrate for 10gbp enough to cover 500sq yards.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 21:30 »
The weeds are beginning to grow.  It needs to be growing well to get the best kill otherwise weed roots will be left live in the ground.

Can't say when but not yet round my way.

HRC99

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 22:18 »
 You need to wait for the perennial weeds to be growing actively so that they can take the herbicide down into their roots and kill them.

I pulled the head off a flowering dandelion this morning...  :ohmy: The last couple of days here have really kick started the weeds.

When the weeds are growing, the sun is out and theres a rain window. All the instructions will be on the back of the pack / bottle.  :D  I've not used it personally but I believe Wilkinsons do 1ltr of concentrate for 10gbp enough to cover 500sq yards.

Wilkos it is then! 

Any suggestions as to where to pick up ground cover & how much you should pay for it?

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:56 »
I got a 1litre concentrate from Tesco, pretty sure it was less than £10.

Unless your going to use all the space now, I wouldnt weed kill the entire plot.
If you just use it once about a month before you plan on planting somewhere, you wont have to cover as much, and you wont to reapplicate
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

noshed

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:10 »
I got a small roll of this and it has lasted 4 years as paths, without any signs of wear: http://www.allplaz.com/acatalog/Woven_105gsm_Weed_Control_Fabric.html
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19 »
I would combine a bit of all three ....

Dig, spray and cover.  The areas you want to use straight away to sow seed (carrot beds maybe) really need to be dug and weeded. Make sure you remove all the root or the plant will re-establish very quickly. Otherwise the weeds will overtake your seedlings.

Anything else spray, though be prepared to have to repeat the spraying process if your patch is very weedy. Allow a few days then cover what you don't plan to use in the near future.

Be prepared to sow anything you can in pots and transplant when they reach the limits of the pot for the first year, it will give your plants a head start over any recurring weeds, and help you identify what to remove. All my brassicas, beans, peas are starting in pots this year.

I use alplaz for ground cover, fleece, cloches etc, and buy my glyphosate from Wilko, seems like I'm in good company.

I started this process on what was little more than ploughed meadow last year, and have the making of a useable plot already, though I will continue to cover any part of my lottie that isn't currently in use. 

If you have a local wilko, watch out for the end of season as they will clear out gardening to make way for the Christmas range, and many items will be half price or less - a good time to stock up on a couple of bottles of weedkiller, slug pellets, tools etc.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

clip
Ground cover to kill weeds

Started by Louise Price on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 13:57
by jezza
xx
roundup question

Started by Y.E.A.H on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 18:25
by Lardman
xx
new cover

Started by wrinkly1 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 06:20
by arugula
xx
Polytunnel cover

Started by Margot L on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:12
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.