HELP URGENTLY NEEDED WITH MINCEMEAT

• 8 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« on: December 04, 2008, 15:17 »
Can anyone help?

For a number of years I've made a fantastic Whisky, Orange and Walnut Mincemeat.  With a few of the batches the whisky seems to ferment with the sugar and we end up with a sticky mess trickling down the outside of the jars which is not very helpful when I taking orders to sell - aargh!

The mincemeat itself is fine but when you open the lid it's bubbling away nicely.

I was told last time this happened it was because the apples I'd used hadn't been ripe but this was definatly not the case this time.

Any suggestions on how to stop it happening?

Oscar Too

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 15:54 »
Are your jars and lids absolutely scrupulously clean?  Do you heat them before filling? Are you putting the ladle down on a dirty surface in between filling jars?  

The fermentation is unlikely to be caused by anything in the ingredients as the alcohol, sugar and high temperatures will kill anything off.

Poolfield2

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 18:31 »
It is a cooked recipe isn't it? I've seen some where you just rely on the alchohol to preserve an uncooked mixture and I've always thought they sounded risky.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 20:23 »
You cook the apples and then add the other ingredients so you don't actually heat the alcohol.

It doesn't affect the mincemeat as I've had this happen before and then used it some time after and it's fine.  It's more a problem of an unsightly and sticky mess.

I think I may have solved the problem by keeping it refridgerated once I've potted it as I'm sure it's caused by the warmth.  I left a couple of jars fairly close to a radiator and they started bubbling whereas some jars I'd potted at the same time by were storing away from a radiator showed no signs of reacting.

And yes, the jars and lids are extremely clean and yes I do heat the jars (they come straight out of a very hot dishwasher and used for potting straight away) and no I don't put the ladle down on ANY surface between jars.  As I make over 200lbs of jams, chutney and marmalade each year and never have this problem with any of the others I do not think it is my hygiene standards that are in doubt,.

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 21:42 »
Dried fruit such as raisins and sultanas are a very good source of natural yeasts, so I'm not suprised that it ferments if the fruit hasn't been held at more than 100C for more than 10 minutes.

I actually use raisins as a natural raising agent when I make "leven" to raise a bread dough. Refridgerating it just puts the yeast on hold and when someone buys it and takes it home if they don't store it in the fridge it will start fermenting :shock:

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 22:18 »
I'm now advising all customers to store it in the fridge until they use it!

Oscar Too

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 14:44 »
Hadn't realised it wasn't a cooked recipe.  In that case, I'm not at all surprised it ferments.  Could you try making Christmas cocktails from it?

kathryn

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 21:29 »
hope you've solved the problem.

Ive never had a fermenting problem with my mincemeat and mine is an uncooked recipe full of Guiness and brandy!! very very yummy.

As well as dishwashing my jars, I put them in a hot oven to sterilise them before putting the mincemeat in.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 22:38 »
No.  I haven't managed to solve the problem.  In fact I made a batch the other day and potted it last night.  When my husband went downstairs first thing this morning he had to clean the floor as the jars had overflowed and there was a sticky mess dripping off the work surface! LOL

I did try putting the fruit in boiling water quickly to kill the yeast in the hopes that it would solve the problem (working on the basis that it was the live yeast in the fruit re-acting with the the alcohol or sugar) but that doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

I now warm everyone who has a jar to loosen the jar top regularly and don't be surprised if there's a loud 'pop' when they do!

xx
Mincemeat Buns

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 13:55
by wighty
xx
Delia's Mincemeat

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 10:58
by tosca100
xx
Mincemeat with hazlenuts

Started by 666 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 14:53
by chrissie B
xx
Mincemeat with NO NASTY SUET

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 09:23
by jennyb

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 38 queries.