Couple of Pumpkin questions

• 13 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Couple of Pumpkin questions
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:52 »
Hoping a passing pumpkin expert can answer my questions please - as I know nowt. :blush:

This is my biggest pumpkin.  I'm feeling quite maternal towards it  :D  Never grown anything before and have always wanted a pumpkin patch - just have a thing for them, who knows why.  What I would like to know is - will it go orange??  Is there still time? The weather is already on the turn....and I know pumpkins like plenty of warmth and sun...I think it was Hundredweight variety.

Second question - my peas (next door to the pumpkins) are looking a tad powdery mildew-ish.  Could this begin to affect the pumpkins or not?  ANY tips on pampering my pumpkins from now on most gratefully received. Thanks.
Pumpkin.jpg
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

tizzy

Re: Couple of Pumpkin questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 13:20 »
My hundred weight is the same colour maybe its the variety but still time to turn orange and mature.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 13:27 »
Ahhhh...that's good to know - thanks tizzy.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 14:07 »
I'm no expert but your one looks like like it's still growing.

When they start to change colour that's when they stop. Keep feeding tomato plant stuff and watering.

Mildew does most plants in the end.

I've cut mine when they've started to change colour and let ripen fully in our conservatory to toughen up.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 15:05 »
The powdery mildew that lives on peas does not live on pumpkins.

Walewein

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 16:33 »
But the conditions that create the mildew on the peas also create mildew on pumpkins so keep looking out for it

Lady Lottie

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:15 »
Thanks all. :)

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36 »
I'd move it so that it sits properly, sometimes if you leave them on their sides the skin bubbles and you don't get a lovely smooth orange pumpkin.

I grew heritage non F1 pumpkins this year; and picked 4 yesterday. They are curing at the lottie on the top shelf of the mini greenhouse.....I'm very proud. They aren't huge but by golly they're orange. :D

Lady Lottie

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52 »
I'd move it so that it sits properly, sometimes if you leave them on their sides the skin bubbles and you don't get a lovely smooth orange pumpkin.

I grew heritage non F1 pumpkins this year; and picked 4 yesterday. They are curing at the lottie on the top shelf of the mini greenhouse.....I'm very proud. They aren't huge but by golly they're orange. :D

Hmmm...I understand why you suggest moving it....but I'm really scared of doing it without damaging something!  Any tips?? :unsure:

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 15:58 »

Hmmm...I understand why you suggest moving it....but I'm really scared of doing it without damaging something!  Any tips?? :unsure:

Tips?    do it gently? Just slide it so that it is sitting on its bottom and not on its side.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 16:23 »

Tips?    do it gently? Just slide it so that it is sitting on its bottom and not on its side.

::)  ...lol....I suppose there's not a lot else one can do.  I'm just worried about snapping the stem....I will just take a deep breath and give it a go. :)

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 16:38 »

::)  ...lol....I suppose there's not a lot else one can do.  I'm just worried about snapping the stem....I will just take a deep breath and give it a go. :)

Might be a good idea to put something under its bottom once it is tipped as sometimes contact with the soil can cause rotting. i use thin pieces of scap wood but i am sure there are lots of other things you can use

Lady Lottie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 21:04 »
I planted them through black plastic so they're bottoms aren't on any soil - so hopefully they won't rot...or would some sort of elevation still be of benefit do you think?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 23:18 »
I don't think the stalks or stems will snap - they're pretty tough. I sit mine on pieces of broken polystyrene, upturned flower pots or upturned hanging baskets. Anything to keep the water drained off. The black plastic might collect water under the pumpkin.
Rachael

xx
a couple of questions??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2007, 15:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
couple of questions

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 16:26
by mumofstig
xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.