what shed

• 5 Replies

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
what shed
« on: May 17, 2016, 23:54 »
i have put down  8ft by 8ft base made from old paving stones with the plan that i will ultimately put down a shed on that area. would like a 7ft by 5ft shed but really dont know what to do....do i go for a cheapie wickes shed and then replace it in 2 years since it looks such poor quality or go for a more expensive one from say tiger sheds for example .....or do i design a simple pent shed and build it myself ? welcome suggestion , ideas plans...

looking for recommendations of good places to buy a shed and good ideas or plans to build one myself...welcome ideas and suggestions

Trikidiki

Re: what shed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46 »
I acquired a virtually brand new Wickes 8x6 shed when we cleared my sister's father-in-law's house.

The quality is pretty atrocious. The floor panels were sterling board and were badly sagging between the joists, the roof was warped. When I reassembled it it was like the proverbial old broom that had three new heads and four new handles. I replaced the floor completely with thicker sterling board and upgraded the joists with some old 4x2 I had. I framed the roof properly to square it up. It is now quite sturdy but I wouldn't want to lean anything too heavy against the walls as they are framed with 1"x 1" timber, the cladding is feather edge that is so thin it is warping. It is water tight but you can see large gaps if you look downwards from the inside. As it is a 'sitting shed' rather than a storage shed I will probably line it in the winter to stop any draughts.

When I erected it on concrete blocks I came back the next day to find the wind had blown it backwards three feet off the blocks it is so light. It is now firmly anchored with two 3"x3" fence posts in the ground on opposing corners. These were planned to be used anyway with pig-tail screw-eyes going through the wall into them from the inside as hooks for my hammock.

If you are handy with a hammer and saw I would build your own from scratch. Plans? What are they? Just have a look at the construction of a few sheds and copy/modify to your requirements.

I did so at home with my 16'x12' shed. Proper job with ship-lap cladding, the framing is 2"x1" for the walls at 2' centres and 2"x2" for the ceiling. Only problems I have had is the roof got damp when the felt roof deteriorated due to the acidic drip from the yew tree that overshadowed it which would have happened with any shed I put there. A few timbers 'sprung', I used a pneumatic nail gun and some of the nails didn't hold well, I would use  proper nails next time although the nail gun made the cladding very quick and easy to do alone.

I started with a rough idea of the size I wanted and then based it on whole sheets of sterling board for the floor, minimising cutting or wastage. The cladding has little wastage as you use all the off-cuts around the windows. The roof is the only awkward bit as it is then slightly wider than the floor. Don't skimp on the floor, it's fairly easy to replace the roof if needed but the floor is a different matter. I built the walls as panels then bolted them all together, it would probably be easier to construct the frame completely then clad it once erected.

I planned to put perspex windows in but have never got round to it. I made frames then stapled UV stable polythene to the frames then slotted the completed frames into the openings, I have replaced them once in 10 years but they do the job nicely.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:25 »
thanks for your detailed email appreciate the feedback, any pics? 

grendel

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:37 »
build it yourself, my shed at home is built from 2" x2" rough sawn timber and shiplap fence boards, apart from a bit of royt in one corner of the roof, its been standing now for about 20 years.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 14:15 »
tx...i agree the walls are finde to do myself but am a bit concerned about the roof...i think a pent type roof will just be easier...

grendel

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 19:06 »
a big sheet of marine ply usually works, then felt on top, mine just slopes from back to front, but as I had metal panels I used those.

question
7 x 4 shed for under £100??????

Started by sarac on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 21:02
by Twoflower
xx
Shed! Nearly done...

Started by Heather_S on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 20:30
by John
xx
Shed help please

Started by themoog on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 22:29
by noshed
xx
What do you have in your shed?

Started by Tigerhair on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 19:18
by rainie

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.