Aaaaarrrgghh - trebled!

• 5 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Aaaaarrrgghh - trebled!
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:13 »

Preparing to make the plum and pineapple jam and as pineapple is low in pectin I wandered down the canal towpath to a field that holds the best crab apple tree for miles around.  .  .   NOT A SINGLE CRAB APPLE !  I don't mean fewer than I would have thought, not a single one on the whole tree.  :ohmy:

I diverted to two other trees, both semi crab semi edible but they were bare as well.  Luckily I picked sufficient blackberries to provide the pectin needed, as I went dressed to pick crab apples and not 'brambles' my legs are a bit 'tingly' at present.

I read that plum skins can be tough so I've removed the skins of the plums |(very easy after freezing and thawing) and the blackberries will also replace the plum colour.

Right then, lets get on with it.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

plum crumble

Re: Aaaaarrrgghh - trebled!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 13:35 »
tis a terrible year for apples - just watch the price of cider going up! Blossom and bees did not match their timings this year all over the country. Really poor harvest  :(
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 17:43 »
tis a terrible year for apples - just watch the price of cider going up! Blossom and bees did not match their timings this year all over the country. Really poor harvest  :(

Glad it's not just me - my cox's orrange pippins are half the normal size, and they seem to have some sort of blight (a kind of crinkly thing going on under the skin).   :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 17:55 »

All bottled (or is it jarred)?

A "firm set" but at least it won't slide off the knife!

Cheers,    Tony.

plum crumble

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 21:24 »
lovely to see - so satisfying!

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57 »
a good haul there , my tree has loads of apples , they are small , but were the same as last year although they are slower to ripen up this year .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.