Seeds.

• 13 Replies

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Seeds.
« on: December 10, 2007, 14:13 »
Hi all, :D  Could you help me out. I need your wisdom and experience. I went a bit daft as as soon as I was allotted my lottie I bought all my seeds, onion sets and potato tubers straight away :oops: . Now I know I can clear enough ground to plant the potatoes, root crops,onion sets, garlic and leeks but I don't know if Iwill be on target to plant the Brassicas and Legumes. They'll keep 'til next year won't they? :?

P.s. I hope to have cultivated the whole plot, I just want to know just in case :wink:    

Grsshopper.
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

WG.

Seeds.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 14:16 »
Garlic is the only thing you should be planting in the open now.  Everything else will keep until next year provided you store them in a cold dry place.

Parsnip seed can be dodgy but check the "plant by" date if you bought it only recently.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Seeds.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 14:21 »
Your seeds will be fine in unopened packets.

Keep the spuds & onion sets cool,  but frost free.

I take it the onion sets are for spring planting & are not the Japanese  (winter) variety? I may be wrong here, but In you position I may have been tempted to keep the onion sets in your fridge!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Seeds.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 14:28 »
Sorry I think I've explained it all wrong :oops: . I meant I'd have room for the potatoes, onions, etc. next year but not the Brassicas and Legumes.  :(

WG.

Seeds.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 14:45 »
They'll be fine.  Check the dates on the packets and find Seed Life in the Glossary (via help link in my signature).

It is best to plant garlic before the New Year.

paintedlady

Seeds.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 16:26 »
Hi grasshopper, I spent Saturday afternoon going through my old seed packets and was amazed to find some I bought in early spring 2005 still have a "use by" date of 2008!  Brassica seeds can remain surprisingly viable for a long time, but not sure about legumes.  Whatever, the whole packet won't instantly go off and it just means that you won't get a guaranteed 100% germination like it says on the packet.  Just store your seeds in a cool dry place until you're ready.

Also, you mentioned potatoes - do you have some earlies?  You could sow your leeks at home and grow up in pots, wait until the earlies are ready for digging up, then use that potato bed for the leeks. :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Seeds.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 16:55 »

brucesgirl

Seeds.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 18:42 »
Why don't you plant just half the onions and potatoes next year, and swap the extras for things like compost or manure with people on your plot.
Then you can sow some of the seeds. I only grow half a dozen of each brassica at a time, as we can't get through more than one cabbage, for instance, a week.

gobs

Seeds.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 21:23 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
we can't get through more than one cabbage, for instance, a week.

Eating tooooooooo much meat by any chance? :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

Seeds.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 21:29 »
Quote from: "DD."
This is how I grow my leeklings!....

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=67837&highlight=repeating#67837

Only remember the used cat litter tray joke, sorry.

I love the word leeklings, though. Nice.

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
Seeds.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 21:46 »
Hey hopper,

my seeds seem to keep forever, no matter if opened or unopened. I sowed leeks last year that were out of date in 2001.. and I think every single seed must have germinated as I was flooded with it. Tomatoes and Carrots and lettuce same story.
 On the other hand I've never ever dabbled in brassicas bar Kohlrabi this year, so maybe they're different

Godd luck and enjoy

Bell

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Seeds, please not weeds!!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 15:14 »
Thank you all for your advice. It has been digested in that empty space behind my forehead and will be acted upon! I can't wait for the time I'll be able to answer a question but seeing as I'm 56 now I'll have to live to a ripe old age!!!!! :tongue2:

brucesgirl

Seeds.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 19:02 »
brucesgirl wrote:

Eating tooooooooo much meat by any chance?

No Gobs - its just that we eat about 6 types of veg at each meal!! I get bored easily.

gobs

Seeds.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
brucesgirl wrote:

Eating tooooooooo much meat by any chance?

No Gobs - its just that we eat about 6 types of veg at each meal!! I get bored easily.

Only joking, I was. I agree, nice to have a variety, good for you and for the soil, too.

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Too many seeds!!!!!!!!

Started by Dawn in the North on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2007, 14:42
by shaun
xx
Pea Seeds

Started by Hoodsie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 13:33
by strangerachael
xx
I don't need 500+ seeds!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 08:54
by AnneB

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.