sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.

• 23 Replies

wildwitchy

Re: sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 17:36 »
Yes quite frankly,it gets on my t*ts because boys are hard to rehome unless you are going to be keeping them for breeding/you know you can definatly rehome them. Then there's old favorite, the noise aspect. Yeh, they do crow, they're cockerels.

Why bother hatching if you dont want the boys, its a waste of a life thats hard to rehome.

Thankgod for St.Beegal -rehomer & saviour of all cockerels.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 18:36 »
I can understand you're upset WW but we are living in a chicken world where many of us are urban keepers and it's impossible to keep a cockerel because of 'noise pollution', however we also want the enjoyment of hatching eggs to grow on our own birds. With the girl: boy hatch ratio I doubt there are many who could sustain the number of hens needed for the boys.
In addition there are also keepers who do not wish to grow on the boys for meat and their options are limited- cull or re home.
Rosie's practice is neither cruel nor unusual.

rosie14

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 21:20 »
Hi thanks for replying. jhub has kindly replied and defended me and has written what I would have said. My personal view on this is that I knowingly took on the hatch yes, I planned on rehoming any boys if I could and growing any others on to consume either for us or our dog who is fed as close as possible to the prey model diet. I don't believe this to be a waste of a life per se personally. Culling and throwing away the carcass of an animal that could be used to me however is a waste of a life.

I'm really sorry it gets on you ti*s I kind of understand why. Out of interest are you a vegan?

grinling

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 21:49 »
my 8 week old chicks have been condemned as boys if the owner had written the cockerel/hen cross the wrong way round. I am hopeful for some to lay eggs, even if optomistic, as I am now down to 1 laying hen. If boys then they will be for the bbq. Poppy's week old chicks though might be slightly harder to cull as they are adorable, so they had better be hens.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 22:09 »
Out of 6 welsummer bantam chicks I had 2 boys and managed to rehome the 2 boys and 2 girls.  I have someone lined up for another girl and will be keeping the remaining girl.

Out of 5 light sussex bantams I had 3 boys 1 girl and 1 still unsure of.  I have managed to rehome 1 boy.  The others I will try to rehome and if I am unsucessful in that the boys will be humanly dispatched and used for their meat.

They have all been broody reared, enjoyed freeranging most of the day and have been fed quality feed.  As jhub said the boy/girl ratio will always be out of balance if all the boys are kept.  I have enjoyed my first trial at raising chicks and will continue to do the same as long as I can give them a good quality of life, even if it may be a short one.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

wildwitchy

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 23:34 »
what has asking me if im a vegan got to do with keeping the boys out a hatch?  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 07:06 »
please keep this thread friendly otherwise I shall have to lock it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 12:25 »
Just a bit of hen pecking Joy, it will settle down. More gin and pain killers for me!
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

rosie14

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44 »
Firstly hi Joyful it is just friendly (atm anyway  ;))

WW merely said it got on her ti*s which I can see why in a way....

Hi WW, a friend is a Vegan and regards what I am doing as cruel. Which is fine we are good friends and I respect her opinion (although I do not come from the same page as her!) and she doesn't hate me for it which is good! My husbands friends' wife is of the same opinion however and is happy to vocalise it, yet she is far from vegan and is a huge dairy fan which to me has cruel aspects in it's industry which is why we are dairy free as a family. I don't want an argument with anyone and I do not intend to offend or get on anyone ti*s, just wanted to explain where I was coming from and I suppose was keen to understand your viewpoint better. In writing this I can see I see my husbands' frinds wife (note not a friend of mine lol!!) as a hypocrite but maybe she regards me the same  ::) It's personal view and opinion at the end of the day no one is right or wrong??

xx
Any tips on sexing polish chicks? Now with pics

Started by ness on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 06:56
by ness
xx
Sexing chickens

Started by michael85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 06:18
by Casey76
xx
sexing chickens

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 19:40
by daisy1990
xx
Sexing Chickens

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 19:23
by muntjac

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 35 queries.