Growers with a Cold.

• 1 Replies

stevefitz5

Growers with a Cold.
« on: April 24, 2012, 19:13 »
Hi

Been a while since i have been on but have come running back for help. I put my five 7 week old chicks out as it's not been that cold (plus they started to smell in the kitchen). They had been fine the first few days then saw one hunched over thought it may have been a impacted crop so removed the straw as it looked large but heard one of the others sneezing today so think it maybe a cold going round. Have put aboise bedding in an omlet eglu since the suspected impacted crop.

Could someone give me some advice where to go from here?

Thanks Steve

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Growers with a Cold.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 20:54 »
i'm sure there are others with far better advice and more experience who will come along and help but in the mean time, lots of members have stated that chickens don't get colds.

your best bet is to take your growers to the vet and have them prescribe baytril or tylan. the latter is better. once they have completed the course, give them some yoghurt to help their guts recover and encourage good bacteria to grow again.

it is possible your birds have a respiratory infection/disease and although they will recover, you may find that they will be more prone to flare ups when highly stressed in the future. it is therefore best that you don't breed from them as any off spring will not be immune either.

hope that helps. 
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
POL or Growers

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 22:40
by littlewitch
xx
growers pellets

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 00:36
by snowflake
xx
Layers or growers

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 19:41
by joyfull

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 36 queries.