Sprouts

• 25 Replies

Des C

Sprouts
« on: October 26, 2007, 13:41 »
Hi all,
This is my first non-poultry post so I hope I don't sound too stupid. This year, I've managed to get a decent-looking crop of sprouts and broccoli. I've been feeding very occasionally with fish blood and bone as I prefer not to use chemicals. In spite of severe losses to caterpillars, I still have a few strong plants left with sprouts now the size of marbles.
Should I continue to feed as before or leave them??? Should I cut back on foliage to promote growth. I feel like a bit of a plank asking these basic questions but domestic pride is at stake!!!!!

muntjac

Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 13:54 »
just feed a bit till ur ready to harvest at Christmas.. they will only take what they can while the weather suits them :wink:  nowt wrong with foliage if it aint brown raggy ,usualy at the botom of the plants  :wink:
still alive /............

Bodger

Sprouts
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 14:05 »
Sprouts ! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Spawn of the devil ! I hate em :twisted:  the very thought of them makes me gag :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sprouts
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 14:29 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Sprouts ! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Spawn of the devil ! I hate em :twisted:  the very thought of them makes me gag :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

LMAO same here.. but I am growing them for the missus...

mashauk

Sprouts
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 15:13 »
Try parboiling them then stir frying them in garlic then tell me you still hate them!

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Sprouts
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 16:10 »
Failed miserably with my sprouts this year, planted a bit too close together this year I think. Got some monster sized at the top and nothing at the bottom :roll: But still enough for Christmas lunch, I love them MMMM :D  :D  Got a loads  more space for next year so will freeze surplus down, how far apart should I space them?

brucesgirl

Sprouts
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 16:16 »
Though I say it myself, my sprouts are lovely. Already had the odd little sprout, but now we've had a frost am going to uproot one plant a week to eat the sprouts and then the tops.
Boast over!!!!

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Sprouts
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 16:21 »
When you say the tops, I assume you mean the foliage? What do you do with it? Can it be stored?

crowndale

Sprouts
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 17:51 »
My sprouts are the size of peas at the moment, am hoping they put on a bit of weight for Christmas!!  They are a purple variety just because they looked pretty in the catalogue!   first year of growing them and managed to get away with only two caterpillars in my entire brassica patch thanks to netting, but next year will use even smaller netting so no catterpillars at all!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

mushroom

Sprouts
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 18:00 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Try parboiling them then stir frying them in garlic then tell me you still hate them!

There is a chemical component in most members of the brassica family that is liberated when it is cooked or eaten, that about 20% of the population can taste. To them, they taste very foul and bitter, and there's no way around it - it is genetic.

gobs

Sprouts
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 18:15 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
stir frying them in garlic

And then I thought I was using too much garlic, bahh. :D  :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

Sprouts
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 18:17 »
Quote from: "Ruth Cross"
When you say the tops, I assume you mean the foliage? What do you do with it? Can it be stored?

It stores very nicely well enough out there, I find. Use them as cabbage, lovely. :wink:

brucesgirl

Sprouts
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 18:49 »
Sprout tops are gorgeous - I just steam them.
As gobs says, just use them like cabbage.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Sprouts
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 16:10 »
Thought mine was going to be dire this year, bottom ones had blown but stripped them gave them a little feed and they are starting to look promising for Christmas.  :D  Gale force winds forcast for this area then.  :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mushroom

Sprouts
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 17:37 »
Quote from: "gobs"
And then I thought I was using too much garlic, bahh. :D  :D

is it possible to use too much garlic?  :tongue2:

xx
sprouts

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 20:23
by DD.
xx
sprouts.........

Started by hogchops on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 15:30
by hamstergbert
xx
sprouts

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 17:22
by Totty
xx
sprouts

Started by Linexe on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:17
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 33 queries.