Where To Keep Chickens??? - See Pics

• 7 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: August 27, 2007, 00:52 »
Further to my last post, I now have some pictures of the various outbuildings I could use for my chickens.  I want the best conditions for them, they are to be pets and not just egg providers.  I would really appreciate all input from experienced keepers as I am clueless!

The buildings are all arranged in a square around a concrete yard at the side of my house (except the last piccy)

The other option I have is to use the front of the house with a grassed slope next to my veg garden ,and have a little coop at the top with a removable run for when I want them to be free range

(this has no door and a huge opening - is rather dark inside)

(This one has no roof and is connected to the first one, it has a concrete floor and the back is also quite open)

(This one has a secure door already on it)

a small toilet oubuilding next to the play area - this is the one closest to the grass (the grass is over the wall).  The grass in the play area is not real so that is of no use.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:47 »
This looks great where are you? all those lovely outbuildings to use, we had stables and stuff here and I was in my element.  

I see those big wood crates? in the building with a door, they would make good boxes for a broody and chicks.

I got an old single wardrobe similar sort of size (going by photo), turned on its side, made a mesh door to fit to the front and lined with shavings it was perfect to use until she was ready to go back in with the others (or hutch for guinea pigs, rabbits etc)

I expect the real builders will be in later about the sheds
Sandra
xx :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 20:33 »
How many chickens do you want to keep pookey  :?:

jack russell

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 20:59 »
hiya

I'll come over and sort it all out for yer just got to feed me and keep me in fosters on an evening the odd wee dram :wink:

the first pic shows a big outbuilding where i would probably keep the chooks just knock a couple of holes out in the right hand side for windows.  a mesh panel with door on the front.  Knock a doorway through into the left building (with no roof),  secure the front and back with mesh and let the chooks forage in there through the day.  perfic :wink:  

the small room with the pallets on the floor you could keep your feed and bedding in there.

the room with the boxes would make a nice workshop :shock:

and the lavvy,  well ill leave that one too someone else :D

just let me know when you want me over to sort it out for you i could do with a break from the norm :wink:  :D

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51 »
Thanks all, I want to keep 3.  I probably should have said that in my first post!

I am in rural Northern Ireland - Fermanagh right on the border (about 10 metres from the border!)

Thanks jr for that advice, I like your ideas.   What shouold i use to block off the door and make it fox proof?

ps...if you came, youd never return.....  if the locals didnt get you the banshee would. :o Failing that, the draught guiness would deffinately sort you out!!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 00:12 »
After holding a family meeting and discussing all the options, my son won the debate and is insisting we house the chickens in his play house!  It is a very sturdy hand made wooden shed with felt roof, stable style door where the top and bottom can open seperately and 2 windows (open at the moment - no perspex or glass).

It is very difficult to negotiate with a 2 year old, so we are now going to adapt his house.  WHat do I need inside - perches, nest boxes etc? do they need a shelf to sit on etc.   Does anyone have any plans showing what a perch looks like and how high everything should be.  Can the nest box be inside or does it have to attach onto the side.

What about a run, I read that they need to be burried 12" into the ground but I was considering a portable one that could be removed when I wanted them freerange, I suppose I could just put a door in the run!!!!  Do you just build a framework like a box and staple wire to it.

I found these plans, but theyre quite complex

LINK

jack russell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 00:25 »
hi

to block off the doors too make them fox proof use a timber framed mesh door.  this will be the easiest and cheapest but also if done correct will last a long time.

only 3  :shock:       stick them in the lavvy  with a mesh run built on the front for them.

rent me the other building to live in :D  them out building could be put to many uses..

can i ask where you lived before there.

cheers

jr

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 01:18 »
Quote from: "jack russell"
hi

to block off the doors too make them fox proof use a timber framed mesh door.  this will be the easiest and cheapest but also if done correct will last a long time.

only 3  :shock:       stick them in the lavvy  with a mesh run built on the front for them.

rent me the other building to live in :D  them out building could be put to many uses..

can i ask where you lived before there.

cheers

jr

Hi JR, I'm originally from Widnes but met my husband and bought our first house in watford, we then moved to DUnstable - didnt like it and sold within 12 months!  We then movede to Irchester in Northamptonshire - a nice little village, then we moved to our house here 3 years ago.  It was a huge 60 acre farm but we bought the house and 7/8 acres.  We sold off 5 acres (a field accross the road that kept flooding - worthless) and have the main house, that is attached to the original 100 year old 2 bed farm house (that needs renovating) and aload of outbuildings.  It's a very interesting property and we bought it for less than we sold our 3 bed semi.

We hope to renovate our 2 bed house and rent it out but we havent got much money it needs roof fixed, electrics, walls re done, new kitchen, bathroom, the porch redone, ceilings redone etc - alot of work!!!  Are you any good at renovating? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Pics of my chickens

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 16:33
by Barry J Scott
xx
Pics of baby chickens

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 09:06
by Vember
xx
sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 09:44
by rosie14
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.