Show and tell (well, ASK, actually)

• 23 Replies

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« on: March 29, 2007, 18:19 »
Right, as previously threatened (before Aunt Sal gave me a crash course in photobucket and picture uploading - thanks Aunty!), I am now going to post some piccies of various veg and 'erbs in early germination stage.

This is cos I have no fliipn' clue what to do next!

I will do a pic and a bit of info on what I've done and what (if anything) worries me (EVERYTHING worries me  :? ).

Any advice received from the helpful coves around here will be gratefully received.

Any sarcams will (by necessity) be taken firmly on the chin!

First off, the Tomatoes.

Tomatoes Legend (pic 1) and Ailsa Craig (pic 2). I sowed this lot into an unheated cell propogator in early March and about 10 days later transplanted into 3" diam pots. As you can see I now have secondary leaves appearing, but I'm worried that the stalks are a little long and thin. Any thoughts?

Legend

Ailsa Craig
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 18:45 »
Next - The Rockets!

I planted three types of Rocket. The Apollo and the Wild Rocket are mostly looking good, but one or two are looking a bit leggy.

The Skyrocket though came through later and looks pretty healthy, if a little small still.

Apollo

Wild Rocket (Leggy one middle left?)

Skyrocket

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 18:46 »
(I like Rocket!)  :D

WG.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 18:49 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
Next - The Rockets!

Look healthy to me but, if they don't run to seed before you've picked more than 2 sets of leaves, I'll be wanting you to tell me how to grow rocket.    In fact, can anyone tell us all how to grow rocket please??  Darned stuff bolts so quickly, I've stopped trying.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 18:50 »
Spicy Leaf - this photo is some cut and come again assorted spicy leaf salads. These were sowed into an open seed bed on a sunny windowsill 11 days ago.

They seem to be shooting up into leggy territory - am I missing something?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 18:52 »
think i agree there smudgy, they do look a little thin, you could start some more off now if youi have plenty of seed left, I am sure they will still produce but not as well, I normally transplant end of april begining of may into their final place, the rocket I am sure will be ok as you cut and eat fairly quick but dont let them run to seed or you will no choice but to like it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 18:53 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Next - The Rockets!

Look healthy to me but, if they don't run to seed before you've picked more than 2 sets of leaves, I'll be wanting you to tell me how to grow rocket.    In fact, can anyone tell us all how to grow rocket please??  Darned stuff bolts so quickly, I've stopped trying.

Whisky_G - OK, just to prove just how little I know, what is:

"Run to seed" and "Bolting"

Told you I know flip-all about this  :wink:

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 18:59 »
Meanwhile, the two I'm quite pleased with.

First, the Chillis. These are Inferno and Hot Cheyenne. Again, thiese were started in cellpropogators on a windowsill at the start of March and are now in uncovered 2" pots on same windowsill. Slowly but surely seems to be the order of the day with these.

Second, the frankly astonishing Courgettes. I only sowed these on March 18th - look at 'em! Potted them into 3" pots today and put them in the greenhouse (I was worried I would wake up one morning soon and find they were creeping round the bedroom door!).

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 19:01 »
Bolting - plant decides to reproduce and produces flower stalks and flowers!
This is followed by seed.

This is not desired if say you want Beetroot... and it produces flowers and seed at expense of a lovely sweet juicy root.  All the plants energy goes into the seed bit and not into the root which you want to eat.

It applies to other veg too!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 19:07 »
And finally (Esther) the 'erbs. A mixed bag here . . .

First, some Parsley I sowed March 4th and kept in an unheated propogator which I uncovered about a week ago - they took a while to show and are looking decidedly spindly if you ask me. Is there a better way?

Next up, the Coriander - sown same time as the Parsley, this was the first thing to show. About a week ago I transplanted these into a window-box I'mkeeping in the greenhouse as a grow-on bed. I think they look pretty healthy - any cinflicting opinions?

And finally my poor little babies. This is a sed-bed of Basil Genovese and Chives. My oh my, don't they look sorry for themselves? I have no clue as to why.  Glumness personified - think maybe I did these too early.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 19:08 »
Quote from: "slow_worm"

This is not desired if say you want Beetroot... and it produces flowers and seed at expense of a lovely sweet juicy root.  All the plants energy goes into the seed bit and not into the root which you want to eat.

Can you not pinch out or cut off the flower stalks?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 19:42 »
Quote from: "slow_worm"

Can you not pinch out or cut off the flower stalks?

Sorry, no. By the time the plants decides to bolt - it's too late it's made it's mind up.

Regarding the parsley, it's a tough little b*gger and does not really need to be indoors for too long, otherwise...... well, you've seen.

To give mine a head start, it goes into an unheated greehouse, (even this is molly-coddling them), and then hardened off before it gets too big.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 20:07 »
ok  hers my 2 penneth cos nobody pointed it out . ur apollo is to wet its got moss greowing on it ,,,,

basil genovese is suffering from erratic watering  and may have got to leggy ,try potting it up in single pots 3 "

coriander needs potting up into single 3 inch pots as well

sky rocket needs potting on as well ,,to cold to plant out till end next month if you have a cold frame get em out after this cold spell gone by

ok from what i can see here you wait to long to pot them up if they are above an inch high with a full pair of leaves pot them up onto 3 inch pots
and looking among the different trays i see erractic watering . when plants get to the sizes some of yours are and also some only tiny what happens is you tend to water thinking all of the plants are the same .. split them up if you have skyrocket like you have stick it at the end of the bench nearest the door.... the fragile stuff the other end .. split the 2 lots up so you have to water them with a stop in .... this allows you to think about  how much water they actually need . by the way this over /underwatering problem is always happening in big commercial tomato houses and the like .council gardens suffer it as well  they water the beds in hot summers and they just flash by the plants with a sprayer and miss half of them over watering them closest to thier feet  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 20:09 »
Basil Genovese and Chives

Not being contrary here but I reckon these two are the pick of the bunch.  Get the chives hardened off and planted outdoors in a fertile spot as soon as you like.  Chive plants are as tough as old boots.

Basil is very tender and should be kept in a greenhouse (even in Kent) until the weather is warm - not just frost free.  Maybe end of May ???   Auntie? Anyone?

Coriander : I think these will bolt on you.  Unless you are growing for seed, I would reseed outdoors now (broadcast sow for leaf production).

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 20:16 »
as for growing rocket WG . sow it outdoors in may and it will not run off so fast .shade it water it when the soil doesnt stick to ur finger when you polke it in the ground near it it doesnt like rich soil in my area  infact it is like money when you dont want it you have lots of it   :wink:

xx
show results 1st time in this show

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 14:56
by Noah'strolly
xx
I'll show my mine if you show me yours!

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 19:00
by Irene
xx
NEC SHOW

Started by gillybee on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 00:00
by gillybee
xx
no show

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 23:12
by Plot74

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 33 queries.