Aha Moment!

• 10 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Aha Moment!
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:03 »
Okay, small hen house, small run, small back garden . . . . . AHA!  BANTAMS!  ::) I'm not too keen for the tiny eggs, but am reading up on Bantams as best I can.  Anyone here have any experience or knowledge on these little ladies? 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

poppies

Re: Aha Moment!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40 »
Hi I have rhode island red, barred and black wyandottes in bantam form, the rhodies are some  of the freindliest little birds I have, their eggs are smaller about 33grms compaired to about 54grms from one of our large fowl - just weighed them

They are ideal if you dont have much room  mind you they are addictive so be warned,  I had this problem about eating tiny eggs, scramble a few at first this might help.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23 »
Thank you so much for this affirmation!  I definitely want them to be addictive!  LOL!  Should I be concerned about the neighbourhood cats?  We have about four that seem to think our back fence is a regular dual carriageway!  We wanted to be able to let them free range in our back garden when we are home and there to keep a watchful eye on them while putterig about in the kitchen and lounge.  Last year we had a small hawk, about the same size as pigeon (wood) take a black bird in our back garden.  All these things to consider. 

Vember

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:34 »
I've had bantams in the past and never had a problem with my cats :)
If you were to have chicks obviously you would have to be more careful not only with cats but with overhead predators like magpies, hawks etc...

But over all they are tough little things and mine were quite feisty lol If there was a cat about they were more likely to go and give it a peck than the other way round lol

Sarah :D

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:41 »
In my experience, chickens will always win in a battle with cats.  "Ahhh yes Mog," said our vet last Saturday, "it's the cat's natural preditor, the chicken".
Sue

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 14:39 »
Ahh you might want to look at bantam faverolles, the sweetest girls that dont need a lot of room, very docile chatty hens that lay a medium size egg in their second season. ;) :tongue2: They are my favourite chickens.... :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 14:57 »
i have allsorts in my garden, from some youngsters upto big fluffy massive brahma who thinks that she's a hippopotomus. and the cats wont go near any of them.

but saying that, now tufty has started dive bombing peoples legs its like having a guard dog.

youve got such a choice of bantams, and you'll fall in love with whichever you choose.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 15:18 »
There's a hot rumour going around that bantam hens will be over my five foot fences in a blink of an eye.  If I clip their wings, can they jump that high?  I know they are great jumpers.  I'm checking out the Faverolles - Oh!  aren't they pretty little things?  I am over the moon that I can get Little Rhodies as bantams too!  Life is good! :D

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 16:47 »
well I cant imagine my little bantam favs flying over anything -they are rather sedentary birds..... :D :D

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 17:08 »
Silkies!  lovely little silkies in all pretty fluffy colours.  Mine live in a small house in a small garden - admittedly the other girls are in a big allotment, but silkies don't fly and are fairly quite birds.  And they are very friendly and did I mention fluffy? Not the biggest eggs in the world but very tasty!

Big Jen

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 20:52 »
I love my Dutch banties - but yes they can fly - and love sitting on the roof :)
BJ
Dutch 005.jpg
Dutch 006.jpg
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

xx
my biggest D'OH moment so far

Started by babe on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 19:38
by jack russell
xx
Lightbulb moment

Started by RubyRed on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 15:21
by RubyRed
xx
how many eggs are you averaging at the moment?

Started by cede on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 09:58
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 34 queries.