San Marzano (from saved seed.)

• 9 Replies

Kleftiwallah

San Marzano (from saved seed.)
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:47 »
My San Marzano tom's are quite small, about the size of cherry tom's maybe a tad larger but still tasty.  Is this because I used saved seed, F1 possibly but I cannot remember.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AnneB

Re: San Marzano (from saved seed.)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:06 »
San Marzano isn't an F1 variety, so I don't think that is why they are small.  Well, my packet is not an F1, but some varieties do have a 'name' attached and these seem to be F1.  What type did you grow?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:10 by AnneB »

jambop

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18 »
I think you have mixed the seeds with others. San Marzano are a quite large tomato 150-200g is not unusual. There is a cherry plum tomato called  Piccolo that is F1 maybe the seeds got mixed up? I grow San Marzano tomatoes every year and have done for at least ten years and never had a small tomato from a crop even from saved seeds. It is a funny one though I assumed it was heir-loomed by now it is an old variety but three year ago I bought F1 hybrid San Marzano seeds from a shop in Italy, I am using the last of the seeds this year.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:19 by jambop »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:59 »
IIRC San Marzano Lungo (longer fruit) and San Marzano Nano (smaller plant and fruit) are both F1 Hybrids, but ordinary San Marzano is definitely not an F1.
You either got your seeds muddled up (likely) or they cross pollinated with a cherry variety (unlikely)

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 21:13 »
I think you have mixed the seeds with others. San Marzano are a quite large tomato 150-200g is not unusual. There is a cherry plum tomato called  Piccolo that is F1 maybe the seeds got mixed up? I grow San Marzano tomatoes every year and have done for at least ten years and never had a small tomato from a crop even from saved seeds. It is a funny one though I assumed it was heir-loomed by now it is an old variety but three year ago I bought F1 hybrid San Marzano seeds from a shop in Italy, I am using the last of the seeds this year.

I've never seen Piccolos that are plum shaped, only round. I also don't think it's an F1 unless I've been very lucky with my saved seed!

jambop

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 07:58 »

I've never seen Piccolos that are plum shaped, only round. I also don't think it's an F1 unless I've been very lucky with my saved seed!

Have a look here where you can get a supermarzano F1  as well same seeds I bought in Italy.

https://seedsofitaly.com/seed/tomatoes/

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:07 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 09:13 »
I suppose you could get the usual San Marzano confused with Supermarzano, but either way, it doesn't explain the cherry sized tomatoes  :lol: :lol:
Are the Supermarzanos really any better than normal ones?

jambop

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 11:11 »
I suppose you could get the usual San Marzano confused with Supermarzano, but either way, it doesn't explain the cherry sized tomatoes  :lol: :lol:
Are the Supermarzanos really any better than normal ones?
I have grown different " oridinary Marzano's" from seed suppliers and saved seeds and got really nice tomatoes. Last year and this I have grown supermarzano F1 Last year I grew some really nice tomatoes which I thought had a slightly different, classic marzano, shape and were consistently sized . Was one a better producer than the other? Very difficult to say because there are far too many variables and I never really pay too much attention to actual yield. When it comes to flavour again it is difficult to say because they were grown in different years. But they were nice tomatoes he is a some of the supermarzano F1 that I took a photo of last year. I use these tomatoes manly for conservation but they are quite nice in a salad. It is notable that my nieghbour does not like them because the are too firm the French like really soft fleshed tomatoes like Marmande , coeur de bouffe and cornue des Andes... also in general BIG tomatoes.
DSCN3970.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 13:06 »
I never knew my cat took a holiday with you last year, I know she was missing for a few days, but still! She could have sent me a postcard  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 18:47 »
We've got some San Marzano growing well, but now pear-shaped!

Might be a watering issue, as they are in pots in troughs, but - hey ho, who cares really!

(First Sungold tomorrow - even tonight if I can get out there...)!

xx
Soft Saved Seed

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 21:27
by Cazzy
xx
Saved chive seed.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 13:38
by DD.
xx
The perils of unmarked saved seed!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 22:05
by mumofstig
xx
Maskotka tomato from saved seed

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2023, 13:55
by Snow

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 48 queries.