Chitting Sweetcorn Lark F1

• 7 Replies

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
Chitting Sweetcorn Lark F1
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:25 »
Earlier this week I put two batches of Sweetcorn to chit; 20 from Marshall's purchased at the beginning of the season last year and 20 from Simply Seeds bought this year; both sets had their own Chinese take away box, layers of moist paper towels and a space on top of the fish tank at 23 o C.  I had difficulty germinating the Marshall's seed last year which is why I bought some seed from another supplier.
All the seed from Simply Seeds has germinated and looks like it wants to romp away.
Nothing from Marshall's has germinated as yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chitting Sweetcorn Lark F1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:27 »
old seed of sweetcorn is always bad at germinating, that's why like parsnip it's recommended to buy fresh each year ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33 »
Never had any problems with Swift F1 (a very similar type to Lark) until last year when germination must have been around 10%.

It was a new packet of seed, (not Marshalls, by the way) although you have to take it on trust that the contents are as stated - I have my doubts!   :unsure:

In general, as Mum says, sweetcorn seed, especially the F1's, don't seem to keep very well.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 13:10 »
Thanks for the advice; the Marshall's seed was coated in red powder, which I assume was to aid germination. (I don't have the empty packet to hand to give full details). I certainly think this is the best way to start off sweetcorn (and squashes).

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 00:38 »
No need for damp paper towels with sweetcorn in my experience. I just leave them the first night in a jam jar full of water to soak, then drain off the water and bring them on like beansprouts until they sprout.

Tip some water into the jam jar, swill around and empty the water leaving the kernels damp but not sitting in water.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19 »
My wife does the tissue in a jar trick it works for 95-100% of the seed we like fresh corn so we are doing lots and lots this year hehehehe.
Thanks
Kris

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49 »
i have old seeds from last year and they are not chitting or growing. in the time i left the old seeds to germinate the new sweet corn seeds have already chitted

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38 »
Never had any problems with Swift F1 (a very similar type to Lark) until last year when germination must have been around 10%.

It was a new packet of seed, (not Marshalls, by the way) although you have to take it on trust that the contents are as stated - I have my doubts!   :unsure:

In general, as Mum says, sweetcorn seed, especially the F1's, don't seem to keep very well.

I have had the exact same problem.  It eventually took about two weeks to chit - I was on the verge of giving up!  Even though they chitted, I still only have 6 out of 24 which have so far appeared above soil level - really disappointing.  Yet the minipop seed packets which are ions old have all appeared and chitted far more quickly.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:26 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Lark sweetcorn

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 16:35
by Springlands
xx
Lark and Swift sweetcorn together?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2015, 13:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Chitting Sweetcorn

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:08
by ziggy66
xx
Chitting sweetcorn

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 20:47
by DD.

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 40 queries.