GROWING SWEEDES ON MY PLOT !

• 8 Replies

ladybird

« on: January 19, 2006, 18:16 »
:oops:     I have tried, on a number of occasions,  to grow sweedes on my allotment.  My efforts have been completely without success!  I find that seed sown will germinate, grow nicely for three weeks, then wilt and die! I am told by other lotie holders that growing them is impossible on the these allotments. They have also tried and failed!
       The base soil is, here in kent, of chalk,, with a topsoil of sandy loam. I shall be pleased to learn if anyone has any ideas :?:
I took over an allotment  approx 2 1/2 years ago on my retirement. Although I find that time is at a premium,  I realy enjoy spending as much time as I can at the allotment..--JUDY

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:59 »
Hello Ladybird

Swedes are brassicas and like cabbages require quite a high ph - 6.00 to 7.00. That's the first place I'd look at, even on a chalky soil.

Lack of lime seems to be the biggest failiing on allotments. I don't know why :)

Like other brassicas, they are susceptable to club root, cabbage root fly etc. If you can grow good cabbages, treat the swede like a cabbage and you should be fine.

Perhaps you could start them off in modules or pots? Bit like handling cabbages in club root infected soil, get them off to a good start.

Hope this is of value, and good luck.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ladybird

growing sweeds
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 08:19 »
Hi John,
Sorry for the delay in replying, have been away for a couple of weeks
Thanks for the advice on sweed growing, I don't think the soil P.H. is the problem as I had it tested by "which" when I took the plot over, and it showed quite a high P.H.
I will try your tip for starting the seeds off in pots and see how things go from there.
                 Many thanks,   Ladybird.

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:39 »
I too have very sandy soil and other lottie holders on the field have had loads of problems growing them. Would it be beneficial to dust a bit of lime in the drill when sowing? I really would love to grow them :D

milkman

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:44 »
I got my best results last year by sowing them directly into a bed which had been mulched with mushroom compost (which is lovely and limey), and covering them in a viromesh tent until they were well established.  

I think I also kept them watered and thinned them when they got bigger.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:46 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
I too have very sandy soil and other lottie holders on the field have had loads of problems growing them. Would it be beneficial to dust a bit of lime in the drill when sowing? I really would love to grow them :D

If you can grow cauliflower, I can't see that swedes would need much different by way of lime.

Direct sow them late (early to mid-June).  If you have compost left, try some of them in improved pockets by removing a small spadeful of sandy soil & replacing with a compost / soil mixture.  They will get needed boron from the compost.  

Compare with results in regular soil.  Report back in October.  :D

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 12:17 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "agapanthus"

If you can grow cauliflower, I can't see that swedes would need much different by way of lime.

Direct sow them late (early to mid-June).  If you have compost left, try some of them in improved pockets by removing a small spadeful of sandy soil & replacing with a compost / soil mixture.  They will get needed boron from the compost.  

Compare with results in regular soil.  Report back in October.  :D

Yeeessssssss sah!!!!!

WG.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:18 »
... and get a cap so that you can doff it !!

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:29 »
I've got one!!!!!....was doffing away!! :shock:  :D

xx
How's everything growing in your plot?

Started by lentil987 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2006, 11:49
by John
xx
Growing strawberries in veg plot

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2021, 18:18
by rowlandwells
xx
Suitability of plot for growing

Started by ukdutypaid on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 21:39
by Bombers
xx
Growing flowers on the plot

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.