Yeast Alternative

• 11 Replies

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
Yeast Alternative
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:30 »
Has anyone ever heard of taking a round of bread out of a loaf packet and using the bread as a yeast provider to make some wine or strong beer. I know you can use bread yeast out of the yeast packets because ive tried that myself, but im talking about a round of bread. Ive heard that inmates used to use bread in prisons to make alcohol and I was wondering whether to try it as a experiment :tongue2: Just wondered if anyone else has tried this :)

Growster...

Re: Yeast Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 14:24 »
It seems that bread yeast dies at temps over 42 degrees PG, so there's nothing left I'm afraid!

I remember a recipe where one spread creamed baker's yeast onto a slice of toast, and floated it on a sherry concoction to make a top-fermentation, but I don't think bread on it's own will do the trick!

Nice idea though...

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 19:35 »
It seems that bread yeast dies at temps over 42 degrees PG, so there's nothing left I'm afraid!

I remember a recipe where one spread creamed baker's yeast onto a slice of toast, and floated it on a sherry concoction to make a top-fermentation, but I don't think bread on it's own will do the trick!

Nice idea though...

I suppose the toast added a extra flavour to the sherry mix. Thanks for your reply by the way, I don't think i'll be rushing to do the bread trick  :happy: I have also tried using dried Californian raisins as a yeast provider as well, they seem to work quite well on there own. Its the natural yeast in the dried skins that does it that's why when you use raisins to give you the yeast you need to make your brew ferment you don't rinse them :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 19:46 »
Baking and brewing are very closely allied and I used bottle conditioned real ales to make barm for bread baking. I think we might have touched on what you're thinking about in the Sourdough thread. I feel sure I've read about it somewhere  :wacko:

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 20:01 »
Baking and brewing are very closely allied and I used bottle conditioned real ales to make barm for bread baking. I think we might have touched on what you're thinking about in the Sourdough thread. I feel sure I've read about it somewhere  :wacko:

I was thinking about making a brew from bread, wondering whether any yeast in the bread might still be active after the baking process. But yes baking and brewing are very closely related, its the yeast that relates them. Also you can have marmite on bread, love it or loath it :tongue2: Marmite is made from the yeast off beer, so I suppose it links in that respect aswell.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 20:21 »
Interesting point you make about raisins.

Natural yeasts will attract their own fruit enzymes presumably, but the yeast you buy these days is far superior to the Yeast 67 we used to use all those years ago!

We used to have a Gamay grape vine, and made 5 gals one year. The yeast was totally natural from the skins, and it went like the clappers, but didn't keep at all!

'Youngs' wine yeast is very good, and we use it all the time now!

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 20:24 »
I made marmite bread this week  :D

I have a bottle of real ale to make some beer bread this week. It's a Nutty Dark one which I will add some black treacle to to give me a really dark loaf. The flour will be Cotswold Crunch (dark) which is a heavily malted granary
I'm talking sourdough here  :)

The booze you're thinking about is Kvass, which is brewed using bread. There's loads about it on the internet but it might be quite an undertaking :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 20:25 »
Fresh grapes are good at growing wild yeasts too. I made my sourdough with raisins (amongst other things) and it's like rocket fuel  :)

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:29 »
I reckon you could write a book on this, CQ!

Amazing!

{:0)

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00 »
Fresh grapes are good at growing wild yeasts too. I made my sourdough with raisins (amongst other things) and it's like rocket fuel  :)

Raisins are great in baking and brewing, your bread sounds nice by the way. I wouldn't mind trying some with a little smear of best butter on :)

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07 »
Interesting point you make about raisins.

Natural yeasts will attract their own fruit enzymes presumably, but the yeast you buy these days is far superior to the Yeast 67 we used to use all those years ago!

We used to have a Gamay grape vine, and made 5 gals one year. The yeast was totally natural from the skins, and it went like the clappers, but didn't keep at all!

'Youngs' wine yeast is very good, and we use it all the time now!

I have used youngs before and they do make a good job in the fermentation process. At the moment I'm currently using Wilko Gervin universal wine yeast, I think its suppost to a blend of yeasts im not sure  :unsure:

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 17:47 »
My mother used to make "beers" with things like dandelions and nettles (delicious by the way).  The ferment was begun using a product called Mason's Extract, which I think was sold as a tonic  :)   :)

xx
help about yeast

Started by mrsbean on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 23:07
by ilan
xx
Yeast

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 20:32
by SG6
xx
Yeast Nutrient

Started by norfolkgrog on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:34
by Jay Dubya
xx
Foamy Yeast

Started by Lardman on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:11
by Alastair-I

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.