Irrigation

• 4 Replies

Ross

Irrigation
« on: May 19, 2010, 22:46 »
Hello. Iam hoping you may be able to help me.  This is my first year of gardening.  I have a 8ftx6ft greenhouse and two small rise gardens.  My problem is I am soon to go away on a fortnight's holiday.  Having no one to tend my garden, I am in a bit of a dilemma regarding irrigation.  Can anyone help me as to which type of system would be favourable.

Thank you kindly. Ross.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 22:51 by Yorkie »
Never argue with an Idiot. I will bring you down to my level and beat you with experience.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Irritation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 22:51 »
Welcome to the site Ross  :D

I'll move you over to the Equipment Shed board as I think there may be more people able to start to answer your question there.

However, it might also help us advise you if you can say whether you have an outside tap and, if so, the distances involved from it to the greenhouse / gardens?  Also, what you have growing.

P.S. I modified your title so it says Irrigation rather than Irritation :lol
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ross

Re: Irrigation
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 20:47 »
LOL. I do feel a fool Yorkie.  Thank you for your reply.  I believe the spelling mistake was from previously reading my daughters Email, calling me an irritating old fool.

Yes I have an outside tap I installed it a few weeks ago because of the inconvenience.  My greenhouse is 25 yards away from the tap.  I am growing tomatoes cucumber and courgettes.  In the two rised beds, I have two rows of Peas, two rows of carrots,  I also had  two rows of leaks but  pulled them out accidentally while weeding.  In the second bed I have one row of potatoes and two rows of onions.  Bearing in mind the beds are only 6ft x 3ft.  I really did not realise how interested I would become in gardening.  And now I am hooked.

Thank you again for your reply.

My regards Ross  Preston village Nr Hull

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 21:10 »
If you give the outside crops a really good soaking before you go they should manage ok.
I think one of those drip systems would work if you connected up to a filled waterbutt raised up to give the necessary height for the gravity feed.

link

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 15:04 »
I use a timer on the tap. And auto vents. I put the timer on the tap rather than at the greenhouse because I came home one hot day to find the hose had swollen under pressure and heated by the sun. The green house has a microbore system to each plant.
always have a target
and an objective.

xx
Irrigation Set

Started by ouessant on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 17:08
by mumofstig
xx
Irrigation

Started by Basil Fawlty on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2006, 12:38
by Ian_P
xx
irrigation system

Started by jambop on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2019, 19:35
by jambop
xx
greenhouse irrigation

Started by frothy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 07:59
by Ice

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.