Maximising output

• 28 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Maximising output
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 18:41 »
@ Trillium re 'the stool' ahh- I'd not spotted that so had a closer look!  I have one of these, it must be from Lidl  :D you can turn it upside down as an assisted 'kneeler pad' and the 'legs' help you to get up again!  I've not used that function just yet.... ::)

Yup quite right... Hi Trillium I got it from a skip at a customers house.. great little gadget - it's one of these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Green-Padded-Cushion-Garden-Kneeler-Seat-Stool-or-Chair-with-Storage-/32091872246

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 20:42 »
I was thinking about one of those seats until I saw THIS and am dropping very heavy hints for Christmas gift.

My many raised beds are about 18" tall and give me a real crick in the back when I have to pick things like beans, blueberries, or do weeding. The rolling seat will be ideal as I have lots of territory to cover   :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 20:50 »
How about trying some vertical gardening too  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 21:05 »
I was thinking about one of those seats until I saw THIS and am dropping very heavy hints for Winterval gift.

My many raised beds are about 18" tall and give me a real crick in the back when I have to pick things like beans, blueberries, or do weeding. The rolling seat will be ideal as I have lots of territory to cover   :D

Mmmm... very clever Trillium - nice  :D  :D

RobRob

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 21:15 »
Vertical is the key! Thanks, good points for me to plan from

Christine

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 21:34 »
Of course, state of your soil, state of your weather and state of your health are key ingredients of how much you grow. If any of the three fail, I've found you don't do as well as you might.  :lol: All three have been good to me this year.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 23:32 »
I'm experimenting with vertical growing with arches paths. Try alpine strawberries, sorrel and chives under fruit bushes, they all do well for me in the shade. Also have a look into forest gardening for ideas if you are happy to give more unusual crops a go. Its my first year for good king henry which looks good so far.

Joy Larkolms book Grow Your Own Vegetables, whichI find excellent, has a table which gives you a yeald per area.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

gobs

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 00:30 »
That's a very good book in my view, too.

Those plants in the shade might overrun your garden, given the chance... :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 21:51 »
I was thinking about one of those seats until I saw THIS and am dropping very heavy hints for Winterval gift.

I need one of these in the classroom!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 23:01 »

I Googled it looking for a UK supplier ... found Chinese suppliers  $10-20 FOB ... retail price in your link $98

Depressed now  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 12:07 »
I'm experimenting with vertical growing with arches paths. Try alpine strawberries, sorrel and chives under fruit bushes, they all do well for me in the shade. Also have a look into forest gardening for ideas if you are happy to give more unusual crops a go. Its my first year for good king henry which looks good so far.

Joy Larkolms book Grow Your Own Vegetables, whichI find excellent, has a table which gives you a yeald per area.

I've had really good results with things clambering up arches, and am putting them across the main path down my plot for next year. Likewise would second Madame Cholet's underplanting recommendation.

Trillium

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 16:20 »
Kristen, I'm not sure where the one I want was made but the supplying company I listed carries only high quality equipment (rarely oriental made) and I know it will be lifetime items, much like your Harrod Hortic. in the UK. I've found that both companies carry many of the same items. I've seen that rolling utility stool in their store and it's very well made, worth the $98. Normally I'd cringe at such a price but these days in tools you really do get what you pay for.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 16:26 »
That's good to hear :)  The Chinese ones I saw looked identical ... they may well be direct copies but nothing like as robust.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 19:22 »
One thing not yet mentioned is to make sure that you plan ahead to make the most of your ground during the winter/early spring, with PSB, kales, spring cabbages, leeks and winter hardy salad leaves such as lambs lettuce, and those that with a little protection keep going, such as rocket, endive and radicchio.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Maximising space

Started by Mary Mary on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 09:08
by Mary Mary
xx
maximising comfrey crop

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 09:08
by surbie100
xx
Maximising my aubergine yield?

Started by Carrotcake on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 15:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.