Solar Power

• 17 Replies

Snoop

Re: Solar Power
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 11:54 »
Thanks, shedmeister. Having read your reply, I remain sceptical your set-up would heat a greenhouse to a useful temperature or for sufficient time. Shame though, as I was hoping to be proved wrong.

Max4

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 20:58 »
I had considered wind power, our site is on a hill and is generally windy. The pluses would be consistent power without reliance on the sun but I'm concerned about the maintenance factor. I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience but generally anything with moving parts is going to need fixing/replacing every so often. Also its a lot more intrusive so I'm not sure what the reaction of the other plot holders would be.

The other option I'm considering is putting the paraffin heater in a small house alongside the GH then piping the hot air through and venting outside. Would need to keep an eye on the soot to make sure it doesn't buildup too much.

Anyone any thoughts/experience on either option. Luckily its warmed up so I have the luxury of time to get a solution in place for next year.

grendel

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 15:15 »
I seem to remember that old fashioned greenhouses were built onto south facing walls (the wall acts as a thermal trap - holding the heat, some had a hot air system which was basically a fireplace on the end wall with the flues running along under the floor (or at least under the raised growing benches). the fire was lit at nightfall and once again the flues held the heat for the remainder of the night after the fire died back.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Shed power - 12v solar charging

Started by amc on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 22:44
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Solar Power source or wind turbine??

Started by james419 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 19:38
by WG.
xx
solar power or wind for allotment shed

Started by colinjmx5 on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 14:39
by gypsy
xx
Power Craft 650 w power generator 2 stroke

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 20:18
by muntjac

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.