Ex-tincture Rebellion...

• 14 Replies

Growster...

Ex-tincture Rebellion...
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:50 »
Sometimes, it's a good thing to slow down the ABV stuff around now, to pace myself for the weeks to come!

At the moment, it's chilled sparkling water with a small dash of Bottle Green or Belvoir cordial...

Any other faves out there?

mrs bouquet

Re: Ex-tincture Rebellion...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:40 »
Belvoir spiced ginger punch, a small tot heated in the micro-wave.   Diet Tonic water with 4 drops of Angosturas Bitters.      But generally a good cuppa.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46 »
Funnily enough, as someone that rarely drinks alcohol nowadays, I've been drinking the bottle of Mavrodaphni (a fav!) a friend donated the other day …..
So I'm drifting towards the ABV rather than away from it  :lol: :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 14:03 »
The red Shloer is the best I've tried, but don't go anywhere the alcohol-free wine as it tasted like how I would imagine tom-cat's pee would.  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 15:27 »
Sorry, please tell me what is ABV  ?     As a non-drinker, I cannot work out what this stands for.  ::)  Mrs Bouquet

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 15:50 »
Alcohol by volume aka the percentage of the beverage that is alcohol.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 16:30 »
Marvellous ideas!

I had to look up the Greek wine, Mum, as I'd never heard of it until now!

Angostura is a great 'difference' to a glass of anything, as pink gin will tell you. In my formative drinking days, such a concoction was rumoured to help hangovers, along with Fernetbranca! (Not that I ever had one - a Fernetbranca, that is...)!

The 'new' cordials like elderflower, however, make a cheap 'plonk' rather pleasant, as they take out a lot of the acid nastiness, and provide a new flavour/experience. The 'apple and plum' by Bottle Green is also distinctive, and well worth a pop!

Tonight, while 'things happen' on the box, it will have to be something to keep me awake, although Mrs Growster had already decided to call it a day by about 10:00 am today, having had enough people telling her who to vote for to last her a lifetime!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 16:53 »
I must admit Goosegirl I've tried many things  in my time but I'm not sure how Tom-Cats pee taste's and I'm not really in favour of trying that particular drink so if you don't mind I think I mite keep to my Guinness with the odd lager that must be a premium brand quite like the German lager and also been known to participate in a pint of traditional ale  :D :D :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 19:36 »
............and I'll stick with my Bell's whisky

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 21:43 »
I like to cut back occasionally too. Sometimes I switch from %6.6 King Goblin to a %6 Mud City Stout  :D

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 21:04 »
In Michael Green's hilarious books about Coarse Rugby, he mentions a chap who trains for the new season by giving up drinking best bitter, and goes onto the 'local mild'!

A stalwart in my opinion!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 22:23 »
In Michael Green's hilarious books about Coarse Rugby, he mentions a chap who trains for the new season by giving up drinking best bitter, and goes onto the 'local mild'!

A stalwart in my opinion!

When I played as an amateur footballer, the sight of players yacking at half time as a result of the previous night's drinking was all too common. The more seasoned types would drink a can of lager for breakfast to ensure that they would be fit and ready for the match...

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 06:58 »
Interesting, Plot1...

Way back then, our RFC always congregated in the old 'Castle Hotel' in Hastings before any match, home or away.

Of course, the beer was absolutely necessary, as thirsts reign from midday onwards...

The brews on offer were known as 'Boys' and 'Old Boys', and I could never tell which was which...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 11:23 »
there probably wasn't any difference, just a ruse by the landlord to get you all to try more pints to taste the difference !      But of course, you were probably swilling in ale, and wouldn't taste the difference anyway  ::)  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 17:12 »
Probably right, Mrs B...

When we moved to a new clubhouse in Bexhill, we had a beer called PBA on tap, and nobody ever knew what it really was, which is just as well, as we spilt most of it during the chorus of 'The Muffin Man'!

It used to cost 11p a pint back in the early seventies...

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 50 queries.