Botulism in garlic and oil

• 10 Replies

daisy1990

Botulism in garlic and oil
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:45 »
Quite a few recent posts make reference to the fact that storing garlic in oil can lead to botulism.  I have preserved garlic in oil for years in this way without problem.  I have checked out shop bought garlic in oil and there is no suggestion that these have to be stored in the fridge.  Do any of you actually know of anyone who has contracted botulism in this way or is this another theoretical risk?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Botulism in garlic and oil
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:14 »
That sounds pretty scary, Daisy!  :ohmy: If I was going to preserve garlic (I don't think I'll have enough left), I would store in oil if I didn't dry it. I'd be interested in any replies to this to.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:44 »
quick search reveals this http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy487  says you can keep for up to 7 days if home made in a fridge, need to discard any kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
HOWEVER the US has 30 "outbreaks" per year from all types of food based botulism, if that is 30 people out of the total US population then it's a miniscule risk! Depends how risk averse you are I suppose. I assume the same would apply to home made sun dried tomatoes - I'll just have to eat all mine upp then  ;)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:34 »
that's helpful and as I thought, will keep preserving mine and take the chance! (along with the red wine and chocolate!)_

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 18:09 »
Is there any chance of getting this cleared up with regard to the sun dried tomatoes.  I'm in the starting blocks ready to go, but I can't take the risk of getting a nasty.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 18:15 »
from listening in on my mum's (daisy1990) conversation earlier apparently Botulism is in the soil, and as tomatoes are not grown in contact with the soil, i'd say they were pretty safe from it!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 18:27 »
channel 4 recipe
http://www.channel4.com/food/how-to/make-sun-dried-tomatoes_p_8.html

says they will keep for 6 months in the fridge, as long as they are covered with oil  ;)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 19:08 »
This has come up before on several occasions. The risk from botulism is minute in my opinion and I must confess to having stored chillies in cold oil for years without any problems. However, to be on the safe side, the below is taken from an article I wrote on allotment foods:

Flavoured Oils Safety

Of the two preserving mediums, vinegars are more effective as the acidity kills of most bacteria and they have a longer shelf life than their oil equivalents. It is necessary to heat some oils, especially with chillies and garlic as they can be prone to botulism spores, to around 180ºC/350ºF before pouring into the jar/bottle. This also has the benefit of speeding up the infusion. Alternatively use dried chillies – it tends to be the moisture in fresh chillies (and garlic) that can cause botulism.

Once opened, to be on the safe side as oils also tend to go rancid relatively quickly once exposed to air, keep them in the fridge and monitor them closely for spoilage. They will need to be used up in about 2 weeks. Cold oils are the best ones to use with green herbs.

The shelf life for both oils and vinegars tends to be a shorter than most preserves and they lose some of their flavour after about 4 months.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 19:42 »
channel 4 recipe
http://www.channel4.com/food/how-to/make-sun-dried-tomatoes_p_8.html

says they will keep for 6 months in the fridge, as long as they are covered with oil  ;)

I've just printed the above off, it looks a fairly simple process if you follow the rules.

To keep the toms below the oil I can use the plastic thingys Val recommended the other day. :D

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 19:59 »
As far as sundried tomatoes are concerned, I don't think there is any risk of botulism or any need to heat the oil.

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 20:17 »
The channel 4 recipe uses cold oil.

xx
botulism...in flavoured oils

Started by agapanthus on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 13:15
by Ice
xx
Garlic

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 15, 2007, 11:20
by ytyynycefn
xx
Garlic

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 18:05
by catllar
xx
Garlic

Started by Annie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 23:03
by tetley

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 40 queries.